New Lounger
    Thanks
    Is it possible to prevent Windows Update from sending Defender definitions to me every week? I disabled Defender because I use another product, and I'm tired of the annoyance. If it's possible, how do I do prevent them?

Thanks in advance,
    Brian

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If you are using XP, uninstall Defender.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I failed to mention this is Windows 7, so uninstalling is not an option.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Brian, hello.

You wrote : >>> this is Windows 7, so uninstalling is not an option.

I ignore why you would say this, I also run Win Se7en and I turned off Defender. Go to Control Panel -> Defender and turn off. Simple, no ? Then go to Control Panel -> Programmes and Features and remove, uninstall as JoeP suggested. It should work this way !

A great day to you. Jean.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Jean,

I have turned off Windows Defender using the Control Panel. However in Programs and Features, Windows Defender is not listed. Perhaps this is a difference between European and U. S. releases?

I still want to prevent Microsoft Update from notifying me that an update is available to software which has been disabled, if I cannot uninstall it.

Brian

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good day to you Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hulse View Post
    Hi, Jean,

I have turned off Windows Defender using the Control Panel. However in Programs and Features, Windows Defender is not listed. Perhaps this is a difference between European and U. S. releases?

I still want to prevent Microsoft Update from notifying me that an update is available to software which has been disabled, if I cannot uninstall it.

Brian
    Makes no diff here, Brian, all my machines are US qualified and I have Defender turned off. Canada is NOT overseas !

Maybe you went at it ass-backward. If you were to turn it ON again then proceed to Programmes and Features to remove it ??? Mind you, I never had it ON here and this is the way that I proceeded.

Be good. Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hulse View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I failed to mention this is Windows 7, so uninstalling is not an option.
    When you are offered the update try hiding it (right click the update and select "Hide Update"). The updates all use the same Knowldege Base article number but I'm not sure if Windows Update will only hide the one or is smart enough to hide all subsequent revisions.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe P hello.

>>> I'm not sure if Windows Update will only hide the one or is smart enough to hide all subsequent revisions.

It is. I have hidden many an Updates and never any further offer was received. Jean.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    "Canada is NOT overseas !" Sorry, I did not even look under your name to see that you are in Quebec.

In any case, Windows Defender is not listed, in Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features Currently installed programs, nor in Turn Windows features on or off.

As to hiding the update, I do that - every week when a new one is offered and that's the problem. I'd like to just be able to shutdown without Windows 7 telling me it wants to apply an un-used update. I realize that I can Ctrl-Alt-Del and choose Shutdown or Restart without the update being applied, but it's one more annoyance to me.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm using Vista Business SP2 on a 32-bit laptop.

Windows Defender is misbehaving. I don't usually pay any attention to it, other than to accept the definition updates when Windows Automatic Update asks if I'd like to download and install them. However, today I was doing some periodic maintenance and decided to see what programs are running at startup. I went into the new Control Panel view ("Control Panel Home") and selected Programs:"Change startup programs." The OS then decides that it wants to use Windows Defender to manage these startup programs, and the following error message pops up:

Windows Defender encountered an error: 0x800106ba. A problem caused this program's service to stop. To start this service, restart your computer or search Help and Support for how to start a service manually.

Except for two out of about 20 tries--then Defender did open, but it crashed soon after the startup programs showed up, and I got the error message again. I should note that I'm doing a reboot every time--as the error message tells me to do. Also, I've tried using Computer Management/Services and Applications/Services to toggle the start-up type of Windows Defender--with a reboot in between--in case it somehow got "stuck." Regardless of what I change it to, it wants to always stay on "Automatic.

I made the following changes prior to this fiasco:

1. Was updating Firefox (which I don't normally use, and haven't updated for at least three months) and accidentally accepted the Adobe PDF Plug-in 9.4.0 that comes with the McAfee Start-up Scan. I may have messed up the installation of the latter, but I subsequently uninstalled it, then went to McAfee's site and downloaded their removal tool, and ran the tool successfully. So it would seem this is not the problem.

2. Updated MSIE to version 8. (Yes, I know it's been out for ages, but I never use MSIE. However, this time I figured I'd better accept and install the update, just to be safe.)

3. Uninstalled Silverlight and Apple Mobile Me--I never use them.

4. Uninstalled Microsoft Live Essentials. Hmmm.....does anyone know, could this be the problem? Is Defender somehow tied into Live Essentials? (I cannot see Defender on the Add/Remove Programs list, because I'm running Vista and it came as part of Vista...)

Additionally, about two weeks ago, I successfully uninstalled Eset NOD32 Anti-virus and started running Microsoft Security Essentials. I haven't had any problems since.

Obviously, this is not a mission-critical problem. But it's irksome not to be able to have a look at what my start-up programs are, particularly when stuff like Apple Updater and Adobe and Java are always trying to sneak in there. I like to keep track of what's getting loaded on start-up, and now I can't.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    jv16 PowerTools 2010 has a decent interface for showing a more comprehensive listing of startup items.
    It will even show you programs that the control panel's program list doesn't.

Macecraft is offering a 60 day trial.

There are many free apps on the internet for this very thing, but I'm most familiar with this app.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.