Thread: What CPU?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've never really spent a great dela of time looking into processors and their variants.

I typically just purchase a new mobo with a linked CPU & cooling fan at the same time. However funds are short so I'm looking to push my current mobo to its maximum processor use but I get very confused by all the 'talk' so would be grateful if someone could take a minute or tow to advise.

Here's my current mobo: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=2500#ov

From that page here's a link to all the processors that range of boards supports: http://www.gigabyte.com/support-down....aspx?pid=2500

My current processor is a: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ 2.70GHz (the above list puts it as a Brisbane)

So based on the above info (is it enough) can anyone advise what processor(s) I can push my current mobo to?

Appreciate any help / advice.

Thanks
    Save your money & Wait
    I don't see a whole lot of difference or point in upgrading your CPU, especially with your current board limitations.
    Not too much to choose from in the AM2 catagory that will realy be a whole lot better than what you currently have.
    And probably not worth the bus speed hit you'd take to upgrade to an AM3 or AM2+, which many of the realy decent ones are not supported by your board.

Save your money until which time you are ready to put together a computer with a whole new motherboard. You might want to work on upgrading your memory
    if you havn't already done so.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    From the Wikipedia entry on Socket AM2 {your current CPU Socket} it would seem that the Athlon 64 X2 6000+ would be the top end processor for your MB.

Good Luck.

Clint got in there while I was doing my research. Being limited in knowledge on current DIY computers I bow to Clint's superior knowledge.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    Save your money & Wait
    Somehow I had a feeling that might be said.

Thanks for the response I appreciate it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Clint got in there while I was doing my research. Being limited in knowledge on current DIY computers I bow to Clint's superior knowledge.
    That's the story of my life

Thanks for the reply and it may be worth me keeping an eye out for one on ebay then ...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just come across this:

Passmark CPU Benchmarks

Nicely scores / categorises all current and recent CPU's.

So looking at those for my current and comparing it to the best I can go to )as advised bu Gigabyte support) then I get:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ 1420 382 17.75
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 3941 89 27.18

First column is the Passmark CPU Mark (higher better) 2nd is rank (lower better) and third is CPU value (higher better) - so a cursory glance shows that moving to the Phenom would give me reasonable results and probably worth my while to do so.

Link posted for others to use if necessary.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Stubby, this is not such a bad computer. You're a socket ahead of where I was at - I recently upgraded to AM3 from socket 939. Hang in there and in the meantime get a kick-butt dx11 card. I kept my 939 box, it has a dual-core 3800 but still runs "Left 4 Dead" quite well since I have an nVidia 9800 in it. Maybe even overclock . . . .
    You will benefit from things like cheaper 6-core CPUs and cheaper SSD in the near future.
    Pete