5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have recently had a second hard-drive (500Gb) installed on my Windows 7
    desktop. When I run Acronis to back up my data on this drive I get the following
    error message:
    [attachment=90299isk_Error.jpg]

I'm not very hardware knowledgeable.
    Is this message an indicator of a disk problem, a sector problem, or something else?
    What's the next step to eliminate this problem?

Thanks for any help,
    Dick
    PS,
    Sorry, I dont know how to "skinny" that picture to a smaller size for posting here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post
    I have recently had a second hard-drive (500Gb) installed on my Windows 7
    desktop. When I run Acronis to back up my data on this drive I get the following
    error message:
    [attachment=90299isk_Error.jpg]

I'm not very hardware knowledgeable.
    Is this message an indicator of a disk problem, a sector problem, or something else?
    What's the next step to eliminate this problem?

Thanks for any help,
    Dick
    PS,
    Sorry, I dont know how to "skinny" that picture to a smaller size for posting here.
    Dick-Y,
    Hello..
    1. How was the disk installed ...Did you use Acronis to do the Installation ?
    2. Is there any data on the disk now ?
    3. Use Acronis to install ( find ) the Disk ( tools and utilities) "Add new disk"
    My guess is if "TI" installs it, all would be well , as i have done this using Acronis several times with success . Regards Fred

PS: if you have done this already...thy this
    run Command Prompt as an administrator...do a "chkdsk driveletter:/r" (no quotes) you might have some problem with the HD that will be repaired by running this utility.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred:
    The second drive was installed at a computer shop I use from time to time.
    As I mentioned, I have very little hardware knowledge.
    However, prior to what I posted here, and because I was hearing a 'typewriter clicking'
    sound from time to time, I ran that chkdsk command.
    It took over 8 hours (500GB drive) and told me the drive was "clean."

I'll try the Acronis step you mentioned, and report back.
    Thanks for your response,
    Dick

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Whoa Nellie:
    Acronis wants to wipe out my data that's already on that hard-drive to "install" it.
    I better wait for further suggestions,
    Dick

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post
    Whoa Nellie: Acronis wants to wipe out my data that's already on that hard-drive to "install" it.
    I better wait for further suggestions,
    Indeed wait.

Does this have any bearing: http://kb.acronis.com/content/1811

I'm afraid I have no direct answer other than to try a search on the Acronis forums themselves: http://forum.acronis.com

Failing that - submit an error / support request to Acronis.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have Acronis but when other drive imaging/copying programs give that error, it is almost always a drive with bad sectors. Most of the time you can get a good image with a couple of tries if this is the case.

Most drive/computer manufacturers have troubleshooting software that are able to do a surface scan of the drive. Run one of these products and see if it throws any errors. Try to get an image first if at all possible as these routines can stress a failing drive and push it over the edge.

My recommendation is to get an image if possible, verify the image both with the image verification tools in the backup software and by mounting the image and checking that you can read the files on the drive. I would then run the manufacturers surface scan software and see if it shows a problem. If it does and the drive is still under warranty, you should have no problem getting a replacement. If you do not have warranty, it is time to replace the drive.

You are getting this error while imaging the Second spare drive? This is not while creating an image of the operating system disk?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    sometimes a defrag helps to get a good image as the data may be moved from the bad sector area during the defrag process...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everybody for your responses. Mercyh's steps seem to have done the trick. Even though I normally use a non-Microsoft defragger,
    this time I went with 'softy to defrag first. Then I clicked on "properties" for the drive in question (my data drive), and did a scan asking it to
    find/fix any bad sectors. It ran quite a while and came back saying it found no errors. I then ran the Acronis task that led to my question
    that started all this - and it ran fine with no error messages.

Dick

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You have received your first warning of a failing drive. Image often until it is replaced.......

Then I clicked on "properties" for the drive in question (my data drive), and did a scan asking it to find/fix any bad sectors. It ran quite a while and came back saying it found no errors.
    This is not the same as doing a surface scan with a drive checking utility. The fact that windows chkdsk does not show a problem is not conclusive in my mind...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Merchh:
    Thanks for your follow-on reply. You hit the nail on the head. Based on your comment, I went to Western Digital (vendor oif the drive in
    question) and downloaded their "Lifeguard Diagnostics" and ran an extended surface scan. It ran for 2:20:05, and then said:
    test error code 08 - too many bad sectors detected.

I'll be bringing my desktop into the shop to have the drive replaced under its warranty.

Thanks again.
    Dick