Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok boys and girls this is driving me crazy. My sons desk top computer has a nice yellow ! Error 39 XP can't load the driver, on the dvd burner. I have ran MS fix, been in the reg. to delete upper and lower filters, there are none, deleted the driver and let XP reload the driver and get the same error message I want to reload a fresh copy of XP but he won't have none of that. The computer is a 07 Gateway Media Center running XP Media Center service pac 3. My answer to this is to update the OS to 7 Home. I have ran House Call and Avira, both say it is clean. Ran the repair from the XP disk but the problem is still there. XP sees the drive but I'm unable to use the drive at all from XP.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you installed any third party CD/DVD software?

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe for the reply.
    yeah that was one of the first things I tried. Nero 7 Ultimate. Using or trying to Nero results in an error message

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Sometimes the components of Nero & Roxio that allow drag & drop burning from within the Windows Explorer shell cause problems like this. Was the error occurring before you installed Nero?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    You might want to try the old stand by system restore.The Windows System Restore utility is located in the System Tools program folder and provides a step-by-step process for restoring important Windows files. I see where you already tried my other suggestion already about the registery.So if the system restore doesn't work for you the only other thing is left to do is to replace the drive itself.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys: System restore was one of the very first things I tried, and installing Nero was second or third so then put the XP disk in and ran a repair. Nothing has worked. I Just saw the ad for Reimage. We will see how good that product is.