5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm helping my daughter get Outlook 2010 going on her laptop. When Outlook opens we enter the post office info and it says it could not connect to the mail server. It then asks us to select one of 3 choice:
    --- Local area network
    --- Remote - connect using Dial-up

The laptop is connected to a home network. The mail server is on a server at her husband's office. We have successfully connected to this mail account using Outlook Express thru this home network. It seems like we should use the Local area network selection in the choices above even though the connection has to go through the Internet to get to the server.

Is that choice correct?

Thanks, Bill

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Make sure you have an internet connection active. Then use the LAN selection.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, the LAN is what we have been using. We appear to have just made some progress. Earlier I was getting a "failure to connect to mail server" but that must have been due to some other error I was making.

Now, I have sent a test message from my laptop to my daughter's address on her husbands server and Outlook in her laptop dinged and said it received a new message but the message is not visible in the Inbox! Do you have any idea what we might have set up incorrectly that would cause this problem?

Thanks, Bill

Administrator
    Thanks
    Are there any rules setup to process mail?

Did the spam filter catch it?

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, there are no rules set up and the Junk folder is empty. I don't use Outlook so I'm not familiar with it setup or all of it's operating choices. I've been investigating everything in the toolbar (ribbon?) and don't see anything that looks like it might be a problem.

In the left pane,down below the Personal Folders area, there are two Ooooops!

I just found the problem! I had clicked on the email address we are sending the test to in that list of two items below the Personal Folders before to make sure the correct one was selected but I didn't realize it could be expanded! I just clicked on the little right-pointer and it opened up a whole new list of folders and all the messages are in that Inbox!

What is the purpose of the Personal Folders and the Favorites that are the prominent things in this left pane???? How do we get rid of all that stuff and get the real set of folders to be the prominent things?

Thanks, Bill

Administrator
    Thanks
    Favorites - you can add folders that you reference often to Favorites. That way they are always at the top. Easy to get to. If you really don't want Favorites see Outlook 2010:How to Disable the Favorites Panel.

Personal Folders - that is the display name for your data file. Once you expand it it should remain expanded even whenyou re-open Outlook later.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, thanks for the link to that article. Now, we can take care of what we decide to do about the Favorites. I'm still puzzled about Personal Folders. There is a whole set of folders there but they are all empty. What are they used for?

The actual email address and its folders seem to be a third major sections in the Navigator pane. Plus, there is a 4th major section labeled "Microsoft Mail Shared Folders" and when I try to drop down it's list I get an error message: ". . . You do not have permission to access shared folders. . . ". We have not tried to do anything related to sharing so that's probably a reasonable message.

Thanks, Bill