Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I got the notification two days ago about a critical Security Essentials update, so like a good trojan I performed the update on my XP3 box and my Win7 box. No problems on the Win7 box but now on my XP system I can no longer network print/scan/or monitor my Epson AllInOne (Workforce 615). I can turn off Windows Firewall and everything works as it should. I completely uninstalled all the Epson software and drivers, reloaded, and still have the same thing. I have the exceptions set up in the firewall for the Epson EEvent manager, Epson Net setup, and escndv.exe, but still no network communications. On the contrary my Win7 performs all the necessary functions to the Workforce 615.

Anybody else seeing any issues with the Security Essentials update?
    Do your part!!! Report SPAM to http://www.spamcop.net/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    ...now on my XP system I can no longer network print/scan/or monitor my Epson AllInOne (Workforce 615). I can turn off Windows Firewall and everything works as it should.
    This is a printer you share with other computers on your local network? One of the firewall rules must be blocking access, but I couldn't tell you why. Hopefully an MSE user can fish around in the UI and find a solution.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    This is a printer you share with other computers on your local network?
    This is a standalone network printer that gets it's IP from DHCP on my router.

Once again, everything had been working fine until the Security Essentials update, or at least that's when I believe the problems started happening.

Oh, I've tried contacting Epson but they haven't responded back... guess I'm going to have to call them to see if they can assist me working through this issue.
    Do your part!!! Report SPAM to http://www.spamcop.net/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    I got the notification two days ago about a critical Security Essentials update, so like a good trojan I performed the update on my XP3 box and my Win7 box. No problems on the Win7 box but now on my XP system I can no longer network print/scan/or monitor my Epson AllInOne (Workforce 615). I can turn off Windows Firewall and everything works as it should. I completely uninstalled all the Epson software and drivers, reloaded, and still have the same thing. I have the exceptions set up in the firewall for the Epson EEvent manager, Epson Net setup, and escndv.exe, but still no network communications. On the contrary my Win7 performs all the necessary functions to the Workforce 615.

Anybody else seeing any issues with the Security Essentials update?
    I think you're confusing Security Essentials with Security Center, the Control Panel app that includes Windows Firewall. Security Essentials updates have nothing to do with Windows Firewall, AFAIK. I have an XP Media Center PC with an Epson PhotoStylus printer connected via USB, and it's working just as well after the latest Windows Updates as it did before.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ??Could this be the problem - ??How did you get the "notification??

Fake MSSE update

Thanks
    I was going to start a new thread with this article. Glad you brought it forth. This could be a dangerous thing to click on. MSE is not the first app to suffer this, just the latest. Be very careful when checking updates. The MSE updates come with Windows Updates.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy