New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am dual booting Win 7 64 bit with Mint 9 64 bit. I boot into Mint, enter my password. Once I am in Mint the keyboard stops working. Also, the right click on the mouse doesn't work. There have been short periods of time where they work with no problems, then suddenly they quit working. Sometime ago I ran Vista, 7, and ubuntu on this same machine, no problems. A couple of times I have had the following message pop up: " Could not grab your keyboard. A malicious client may be eavesdropping on your session, or you may have just clicked a menu or some application just decided to get focused. Try again." I have no clue what this means. Totally stumped. Any input here would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

Thanks
    Hi ramblinflebro,

Are you using a desktop or laptop? If a desktop and you use a USB keyboard and mouse, do you have PS/2 ports available for keyboard and mouse? Some have tried that and found it to work, at least for the keyboard. A USB to PS2 adapter is inexpensive and usually not difficult to find. Hopefully there is a better long term solution to this problem.

When your hardware is working correctly, have you manually checked with Mint Update to see if an update would resolve the problems?

Since Mint is built on Ubuntu, have you searched Ubuntu Forums for help on the issue. Ubuntu Forums are quite extensive and are an Ubuntu users best friend. Check out this Ubuntu Forums thread. There are some possibilities to try, especially post 10. Here is another good possibility that has worked for some.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Gerald,

I want to thank you for your response. I did not realize I didn't mention laptop or desktop. It's a HP dv9825nr Pavilion laptop. I will check out the links you posted. I need all the info I can get. I think it has to be a bug in Mint, or I'm doing something wrong. I set up the boot order with Easy BCD. Probably just a coincidence, but with Windows 7 as the default OS the keyboard doesn't work at all. With Mint as the default OS, the keyboard will function most of the time, but will eventually stop working. Thanks again, Gerald. I will now check out your post. Any new ideas please let me know.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would try running the Mint 32-bit Live CD and see if that has issues. Also try a 64-bit Ubuntu Live CD. I have sort of hit-and-miss luck with Linux drivers - I skipped Ubuntu 9.10 because it dropped the video and wifi drivers, and the sound driver was all messed up (lots of static). Though you would think that keyboard drivers would be fairly straight-forward. Then I also wonder if your keyboard is starting to get flakey.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Peter,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I will try the 32 bit version. I tried Ubuntu 10.4, but I never could connect to the internet. I gave up and installed Mint. I've been banging my head over this. I did not have these problems until after I did a big update. Could be something, I don't know. While running Windows, not one little hiccup with the mouse or the keyboard. Thanks again.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks for information...