Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks
    Sometimes when I click on the Tab, it immediately says "No previous versions available." Sometimes when I click on the Tab, it says "Searching," then it lists the previous versions. When it's lying to me and being too lazy to search, how do I make the Tab give me good information?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    How do you know it is lying? See Previous versions of files: frequently asked questions for more information.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    How do you know it is lying? See Previous versions of files: frequently asked questions for more information.

Joe
    Oh, when it does the Search, it always tells me the truth. But sometimes it skips the search and immediately (and wrongly) says "No previous versions available." Obviously that's a bug, but how do I work around the bug?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So, how do you know for sure that there are previous versions?

A file will not create a previous version until it has been changed....

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyh View Post
    So, how do you know for sure that there are previous versions?

A file will not create a previous version until it has been changed....
    1) Because I myself changed the file. Ergo, there's at least one previous version on the hard drive somewhere.
    2) Because sometimes "Previous Versions" does in fact do a search, and I get the previous versions listed.

Folks, I'm not a complete newbie here. So I'm a little annoyed at the "Is the computer plugged in?" type questions.

Am I the only Windows 7 user for which "Previous Versions Search" is done less than 100 percent of the time? If I'm not the only person with this problem, what's a good workaround?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Folks, I'm not a complete newbie here. So I'm a little annoyed at the "Is the computer plugged in?" type questions.
    Please accept my apologies if I have acted in an offensive manner..

I have used previous versions without trouble. There have been times when there were no previous versions available and I thought there should be. In each of those occasions, after research and attempting to understand the logic of how previous versions are created, I found that the system was working correctly and no previous versions would be available.

At the risk of further offense I will make this observation.

Previous versions are stored as shadow copies. Windows deletes old shadow copies as it manages the disk space used. If a file has not changed within the time of the saved shadow copies there will be no previous version available. In other words, if a change has been made to a file last year and has been unchanged since and windows has deleted all but last month's shadow copies, there will be no previous version. [s]Also if a file was changed in the last hour and no restore point, backup or shadow copy has been done since the change, there will be no previous version.[/s] I am not positive about the last strikethrough statement. Maybe someone else can clarify...

I am not saying that your machine is working correctly. I am just pointing out the logic that may occur in which no other versions are available...

Reason for Edit: Possible incorrect information....clarification needed

Lounger
    Thanks
    Let's presume that when Windows 7 searches for previous versions, it finds them. The key words are, "When Windows 7 searches."

Sometimes Windows 7 doesn't start the search for previous versions, instead falsely and instantly reporting "No previous versions available."

This is a BUG. As in "programming flaw."

And I can't tell you what I do to sometimes make things work right (meaning, I get a search when I want it), and what I sometimes do to make Windows 7 behave buggy (meaning, no search started).

So I ask (again), is there a workaround that anybody knows?

Mercyh, thank you for your careful reply.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would appreciate if you could try the following test (I am at work now on Windows XP so cannot test myself.)

Create a new file that has no previous versions.
    See if windows "searches" when clicking on the new file and checking for previous versions.

Find a file that has previous versions that has "worked" correctly in the past.
    See if with multiple attempts, you can make windows not search when checking the old file.

It is almost impossible to fix something that can not be reproduced.....

Are your previous versions in the form of restore points or are they Windows Backup files? (the two are treated somewhat differently and I think it would be fair to assume that the search time on a windows backup file on a separate drive would be longer then restore points on the same drive.)

Sometimes Windows 7 doesn't start the search for previous versions, instead falsely and instantly reporting "No previous versions available."
    This is a BUG. As in "programming flaw."
    This statement may be true but once again, at the risk of being offensive, my logic questions it. If windows has a way of checking an index that reports "no versions are available", it may be able to return an answer almost instantly. If on the other hand it reports that there ARE previous versions, it then has to drill down into the backup or restore points and find those versions.

Please see if there is any way that you can reproduce this problem (I will also try to create it once I am back on a 7 machine)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Did you read the FAQ?

How do you expect the previous version to be created by Windows Backup or a restore point?

Are you attempting to find a previous version before it exists in Windows' terms (i.e. before a backup is run or a restore point is created)?

Does the disk upon which the file is stored have sytem protection enabled?

Have you deleted restore points?

If you do like questions such as these perhaps you ought to supply the information from the beginning?

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    How do you expect the previous version to be created by Windows Backup or a restore point?
    Joe,
    I am not sure who you are asking this question too......

A quote from the FAQ:
    Previous versions are automatically saved as part of a restore point. If system protection is turned on, Windows automatically creates previous versions of files and folders that have been modified since the last restore point was made. Typically, restore points are made once a day. If your disk is partitioned or if you have more than one hard disk on your computer, you need to turn on system protection for the other partitions or disks. Previous versions are also created by Windows Backup when you back up your files.
    Mercyh

Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you read the FAQ?

Yes.

Restore point.

Are you attempting to find a previous version before it exists in Windows' terms (i.e. before a backup is run or a restore point is created)?

No, after. And as I was telling Mercy, sometimes things work as they're supposed to (so that I can find a list of previous versions), and sometimes they don't work.

Does the disk upon which the file is stored have system protection enabled?

Yes.

Have you deleted restore points?

No. And I have 9.53 Gb being used for restore points.

If you do like questions such as these perhaps you ought to supply the information from the beginning?

If I knew what information you needed beforehand, I would have told you.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I would appreciate if you could try the following test (I am at work now on Windows XP so cannot test myself.)

See if windows "searches" when clicking on the new file and checking for previous versions.

It searches for one second, then reports "No previous version available."

Find a file that has previous versions that has "worked" correctly in the past.
    See if with multiple attempts, you can make windows not search when checking the old file.

I've tried, but I can't reproduce the problem. I think I get the no-search bug after I've first booted up Windows or switched users, but I'm not sure.

It is almost impossible to fix something that can not be reproduced.....

Which was why I was asking about other users. Computers cannot act randomly, but I can't spot the pattern in my computer's behavior here.

Are your previous versions in the form of restore points or are they Windows Backup files? (the two are treated somewhat differently and I think it would be fair to assume that the search time on a windows backup file on a separate drive would be longer then restore points on the same drive.)

Restore points, 10 Gb worth. Going back to September 5th.

This statement may be true but once again, at the risk of being offensive, my logic questions it. If windows has a way of checking an index that reports "no versions are available", it may be able to return an answer almost instantly. If on the other hand it reports that there ARE previous versions, it then has to drill down into the backup or restore points and find those versions.

Mercy, when it does a search, it tells me that it's searching (with a "Searching" message), there is about a one-second delay, and then the previous versions are listed (or I'm told "No previous versions available"). When it's misbehaving, there is no "Searching" message, and zero delay before the "results" are announced. And when Windows 7 skips the search, it reports "no previous versions available" even when previous versions indeed are there on my hard drive (somewhere).

Please see if there is any way that you can reproduce this problem (I will also try to create it once I am back on a 7 machine)

If I can, I will let you know. So far, I can't see a pattern of "If I do X, then Y happens."

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It searches for one second, then reports "No previous version available."
    We have proved one thing with this. The instant "No previous version available" message is different then the 1 second delay for the same message you receive when a file that we know has no previous version is checked. I think we can eliminate the theory that the files that cause the problem are giving that message because they have no previous versions.

another question> Are the files that give you this problem on the same partition as the ones that work? (accessed with the same drive letter?)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyh View Post
    We have proved one thing with this. The instant "No previous version available" message is different then the 1 second delay for the same message you receive when a file that we know has no previous version is checked. I think we can eliminate the theory that the files that cause the problem are giving that message because they have no previous versions.

another question> Are the files that give you this problem on the same partition as the ones that work? (accessed with the same drive letter?)
    Yes, same drive. And sometimes, the same file.

About ten minutes ago, I opened up a folder and 1) right-clicked on a file that I know had a previous version. 2) Instant "No previous version available" message. 3) Right-clicked on that same file again. 4) Instantly got the same wrong message. 5) Right-clicked on that file a third time. 6) Bingo, this time I got a "Searching" message, then a display of previous versions.

Thanks
    Hi Thomas, and all.

I just have a quick question since I have not seen anything in the thread about your computer setup. Are you using Windows 7 on a dual boot system with XP? If so, XP deletes all Restore Points in Windows 7 every time the computer boots to XP. If you are not dual booting, forgive me for interrupting the flow of your exchange.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast