New Lounger
    Thanks
    A Dell Vostro laptop (XP 3) has no problem connecting to the Internet at home, but when traveling it recognizes the local wireless network but will not connect.
    At one recent hotel, there was a message that "Windows is not managing the network," but without information about what to do. At another location, that message did not appear. Googling produced no useful help.
    Suggestions?

Thanks
    Hi Nan, and welcome to the Lounge!

Have you checked your software firewall settings to see if it is blocking your laptop from connecting? Does your laptop do the same whether the network is secured or wide open?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Some hotels charge a fee for wifi connection and will provide a password key after registering... Next time, check with the front desk as I'm guessing that may be what you experienced.

Thanks
    You probably have a utility associated with your Wireless adapter controlling Wireless connections. Run MsConfig and click on the startup tab. Look for an entry associated with your wireless card and uncheck it. Then follow the steps detailed at:
    http://www.bukisa.com/articles/11587...nnection-in-xp

Windows does a much better job controlling Wireless configuration than most OEM utilities.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Prior to decommissioning my XP SP3 desktop I added a wireless adapter. The manufacturer's software that came with the adapter was total junk and caused all sorts of connection problems. I eventually removed the manufacturer's software and then just plugged the adapter into the USB port. Windows ran out to the MS driver database and found a driver. After that, with Windows controlling everything, my connection problems were gone.

If you're using a plug in wireless adapter and the fix described above doesn't work, try what I did.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If Windows is telling you that it is not managing the wireless, then it's not! It's being managed by another client, probably the driver for the wireless NIC. I like and prefer the Windows manager better than any of the ones offered by the wireless card manufacturers. You can go in and let Window manage the client by going into Control Panel and changing that setting. Ubuntu will not see the Windows machines that are set up as Workgroup or Homegroup because Ubuntu has no idea what these are and uses another method for network sharing. Ubuntu will see the Windows computers on the network, you just can't access any of them. That's my experience at least.

If Windows is not managing the wireless card then there is another icon in your system tray that is. When you find it, you have to use that one until such time as you instruct it to change over the other way. Try accessing the correct wireless client and I'll bet you have no more problems while out in the field.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much. Next time I'm on the road things should be better.