Has anyone else had problems installing Silver Light update version 4.0.50917.0 from Windows Update? I'm running Win 7 Pro. 64 bit, AMD Phenom 9950 Quad-Core Processor. This update failed, and Silver Light no longer worked (Netflix wouldn't play movies, message said it needed Silver Light).
Microsoft support : completely uninstall Silver Light with Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Reinstall Silver Light. It didn't work, error code 1603 when trying to reinstall. I then found that I could no longer install any program. At this point I'm tired of fooling with it and decided on a clean reinstall of Win 7. That fixed everything and when the Silver Light update appeared at Windows Update I ignored it...I'm still ignoring it.
Meanwhile, MS support has sent me a page of instructions that I will paste at the end. I replied that I had done a clean install and Silver Light was working again (the update had not yet popped up on my Windows Update).
My husband, who has an almost identical system to mine, tried to do the Silver Light update and experienced the same problem. MS support sent him the same suggestions, which he tried, but with no luck. He is still emailing back and forth with MS trying to resolve the issue.
Any ideas why we've had this problem? Anyone else having a problem with the download?
Microsoft's 2nd try at fixing the problem:
Based on current situation, the most likely cause is that the current user account does not have the correct permissions to access related folders and registry keys. At this point, I suggest we first try the steps below to reset the default permission on those folders and registry keys, which will be accessed when installing Silverlight:
1. Please download the subinacl.msi file from the following link and save the installation patch on the Desktop:
2. Please go to the Desktop and double click the downloaded file.
3. Please select the C:\Windows\System32 folder as the Destination Folder during the installation. Later we will use this tool to reset the permission settings on the current machine.
Note: If UAC (User Account Control) window is prompted for permission to continue, please click "Continue".
4. Click "Start". In the Start Search bar, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.
5. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f
6. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose Save when you are prompted to save the file. Type "reset.bat" as the file name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the save location.
7. Refer to the Desktop and right click the reset.bat file, then choose "Run as administrator."
8. You will see a DOS-like window processing.
NOTE: It may take several minutes. When it is finished, you will be prompted with the message: "Finished, press any key to continue".
9. Please restart the computer and install Silverlight again from to the following website:
Does Microsoft Silverlight install properly? If not, please follow the steps below to collect Windows Installer log:
1. Click Start Button, type "cmd" in the search bar. The CMD icon will appear in the Start Menu.
2. Right click the CMD icon and click "Run as administrator".
3. In the popup window, copy and paste the following command then press Enter:
REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer /v Logging /t REG_SZ /d voicewarmup /f
4. Click OK or press Enter to run this command.
5. Restart the computer.
6. Try to install Microsoft Silverlight again.
7. If it fails, click Start, type "%temp%" (without quotation marks) in the Search Bar and press Enter.
8. Please send all "XXXXXMSI.log" files to me