Thread: syntax

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Loungers,

I do get easily confused... I'm writing a report I have a field that works like this: [PersonName] &" - "& [PER_Id], but what a really want is something that results in Fred Bloggs (1234), however if I do this it works
    • [PersonName] &" ( "& [PER_Id] but as soon as I try to concatenate a close bracket like this
      [PersonName] &" ( "& [PER_Id] & ")"

access complain's there is a syntax error, the error reports the resolved code to be this: 'First([[PersonName]&" ("& [PER_ID] &")"])'.

Why does the addition of another ampersand not work? and how can I correct this?

thank you....................... liz

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lizat View Post
    Dear Loungers,

I do get easily confused... I'm writing a report I have a field that works like this: [PersonName] &" - "& [PER_Id], but what a really want is something that results in Fred Bloggs (1234), however if I do this it works
    • [PersonName] &" ( "& [PER_Id] but as soon as I try to concatenate a close bracket like this
      [PersonName] &" ( "& [PER_Id] & ")"

access complain's there is a syntax error, the error reports the resolved code to be this: 'First([[PersonName]&" ("& [PER_ID] &")"])'.

Why does the addition of another ampersand not work? and how can I correct this?

thank you....................... liz
    Instead of [PersonName] &" ( "& [PER_Id] & ")"
    try
    [PersonName] & " ( " & [PER_Id] & ")"

There must always be a space between the " and &.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lizat View Post
    In case Patt's suggestion did not solve the problem, can you explain where the "First" in the above quote comes from. You have not mentioned it earlier in the post.
    Regards
    John

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Patt, Ok it worked perfectly, thank you!

John, Actually I don't know why First is there I ddn'y consciously do that so I am mystified?

liz