Lounger
    Thanks
    Running XP/SP3. Upon booting, get DOS screen showing: PXE-E61 Media
    TestFailure, Check Cable PXE-MDC Exiting PXE ROM All cables are connected;
    checked both the hard drive and CD Rom,by exchanging with good ones; same
    problem. (Naturally, changed BIOS settings for boot options.)Any help will be
    greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Thanks
    Hi Tony, and welcome to the Lounge!

What are the specs on your computer? Have you installed a new hard drive or CD/DVD unit lately? If you are using IDE, check to see that your hard drive and CD\DVD are not both set to master on the same cable. Also, in the BIOS make sure any boot to network option is disabled, and boot priority is first CD/DVD, then HD.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    I had the same problem not long ago and it was the video card that went bad.

It wouldn't boot and the hard drive kept running.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Guys-Thanks for the replies. The Computer is about 3 years old, running XP Home, 512MB RAM, 160GB HDD, Athlon 2400 CPU. Nothing new installed, HDD and DVD each set to master, on each's own IDE cable. Naturally, as I first stated, BIOS set to 1st boot CD, second boot HDD. (Have gone into BIOS, to check ALL settings. Even removed, then replaced, BIOS battery and reset ALL settings.)

Thanks
    I would set the HDD for first boot..
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Boot your XP installation media and go through the installation dialogs to see if it can see the disk drive (don't let it do anything with the drive, you don't want to lose your data if it is still accessible). If you don't have the installation media, you can always try a Linux Live CD. If they cannot see the drive, then either the drive itself or the controller on the motherboard is defective. The only way to know which one is to swap out parts. The easiest would be to put in a new hard drive - if the install media sees it, then the old drive is bad; if it doesn't see the new drive, the controller on the motherboard is bad. You can then either try to get a controller card (they go in the PSI slot) or go replace the motherboard (though if you do that you might as well buy/build a new computer).

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. In original post I said that I had swapped out both the CD and HD drives to check-same problem. Also, tried setting 1st boot from every possible way-same problem. Also tried with 2 different Linux Live CD's, and Hiren's Boot CD, ERD Boot CD, etc.-same problem. It may very well be the controller, but I'm thinking the BIOS is somehow messed up, and can't figure how I'd be able to change(flash) BIOS if computer not recognizing anything. Thanks again to all.