New Lounger
    Thanks
    I bought 2 computers with what I thought was Genuine Windows 7 Ultimate installed. I am now getting a nag about Windows not being genuine. The problem is I have no way of finding the seller to rectify this. I do have 2 copies of Windows Home Premium upgrade that I am sure are legit. Is there an easy way to use the keys to make my Windows legit? Would rather not have to do a clean install if possible. Don't think I use anything in Ultimate that isn't in Premium. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    What exactly did you get in terms of Windows 7 installation DVD disks when you purchased these computers?
    I think at worst you would have to purchase the keys from Microsoft in order to continue to use, if they are indeed non legitimate.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Try contacting Microsoft. If you get lucky they may give you valid keys.

The only sure way you can downgrade to Home Premium is a clean reinstall.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    This indeed points out the reason to be sure you have a legitimate source for your PCs. If not, check on Windows activation and validation before handing over the cash. If the deal seems too good to be true it probably is.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem is I have no way of finding the seller to rectify this.
    This has red flags all over it! Any reputable seller will not disappear on you.

Is there an easy way to use the keys to make my Windows legit?
    Yes you can use those keys as long as you have not used them elsewhere. You should also have valid XP or Vista licenses or you will be violating the license agreement (they are upgrade keys after all). Go to Computer | Properties, at the bottom of that dialog there will be a link labeled "Change product key". Click that and enter the new key.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Does it matter that the key is not for Windows 7Ultimate?

Thanks
    Yes it does matter, if you have Ultimate installed on your system you need a key specifically for it.
    Looks to me like your gonna be footing the bill for your full version os and not upgrade versions, unless you can track down the
    seller or do a clean install with the Home upgrade version.
    The onus now will be on you to ensure you have a legitimate copy: Buyer beware.

There is a question as to whether or not you will be able to use your Home premium installations as an
    upgrade install option, but my feeling is you'll have to do a clean install of the operating system.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I do believe you can do a clean install using the VALID Home Premium media. Paul Thurrott's Windows Supersite shows how. To change from the FAKE Ultimate to the VALID Home Premium you would have to do a clean install. I believe you are out of luck with the fake Ultimate editions.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    While an upgrade package of Windows 7 can technically be used to do a clean install on a machine that currently has a counterfeit copy of another Windows 7 edition, I believe it to be a violation of the licensing agreement.

The only exception in my thinking is if one possesses an earlier legitimate licensed copy of Windows (not actively being used on another machine), then it should be acceptable to do the clean install without violating any licensing agreement. However, the earlier legitimate copy of Windows should never be used on another computer after installing the Windows 7 HP upgrade edition, because the Win7 upgrade product key renders the key on the earlier Windows version null and void for legal use.

If one wanted to be absolutely certain of propriety, the earlier licensed copy of Windows could be installed on the computer first, to be followed by a clean (Custom) install of Win7 Home Premium Upgrade, unless the earlier licensed copy of Windows is an OEM edition that originally was installed on another computer. If that is the case, then a full retail Windows 7 Home Premium package would be the only real alternative.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Paradisi View Post
    Does it matter that the key is not for Windows 7Ultimate?
    As I posted before, contact Microsoft. Explain the situation and be prepared to give them as information as possible about the seller.

You should not be able to use the Home Premium keys with an Ultimate installation. You can try if you wish.

However as noted several times: The only way you can downgrade to a lower version from Ultimate is with a clean install.

Joe
    Joe