New Lounger
    Thanks
    I may be missing something here, but i've searched everywhere I can think. I had a Nokia n97 phone which I connected to my laptop on a home network. My HTPC and my lap are on Win 7. When I selected a recorded .wtv file to be sent from HTPC to my phone Win7 advised me it would probably not play in current format and kindly offered to convert it to an appropriate format, which was, I believe, MP4.
    I have now got a HTC Desire Android phone, however when I I attempt transfer of .wtv file Win 7 just transfers it without conversion. I know in Devices and Printers my Nokia was recognised as a Portable Media Player and the HTC is just a removible disk, is there any way to get Win 7 to treat my new phone with the same courtesy as my old Noke and convert and transfer as before?
    Any help greatly appreciated
    Regards
    Vin

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You should check with HTC and see if they have any software/driver that will have Windows recognize the phone as other than a remove drive. Since the phone came out after Windows 7, Windows will not natively have a driver for it. The phone vendor needs to supply the software.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks for that Joe,
    I have checked on HTC website and I have current software on phone. I was wondering if there is any other way to trick or trigger Win 7 to do the conversion since it has the capability.
    regards
    vince

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I doubt that Win 7 has that capability - the capability was probably part of the sync software used with your old Nokia phone. You might try the Android sync app, see if it will convert the file, but then you will have to connect the Android in sync mode, not disk mode.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I should've posted more info. I didn't use any nokia software to connect the Nok phone Win 7 recognised it as an N97 and I believe Win 7 must be capable of converting from .wtv to mp4, I know it can do dvr-ms no bother but how top make it do mp4?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vince marmion View Post
    I should've posted more info. I didn't use any nokia software to connect the Nok phone Win 7 recognised it as an N97 and I believe Win 7 must be capable of converting from .wtv to mp4, I know it can do dvr-ms no bother but how top make it do mp4?
    If Windows recognized the N97 then it had a driver installed for the phone. If the HTC device is not recognized as a phone then HTC needs to supply a driver of some sort to install in Windows so Windows can recognize it as the correct device.

It appears to me that you need to install Application - HTC Sync 3.0 for HTC Legend、Desire、Wildfire、Aria、Hero (Android2.1).

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again, I've already tried that application, once installed the HTC shows up in Device Manager as usb disk. maybe there is no Android software available, but if Win 7 is doing the conversion for N97 there must be some way to get it to do the same for any device that requires MP4. I can do the conversion using 3rd party software from Arcsoft but the win 7 to nokia was much handier.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vince marmion View Post
    Thanks again, I've already tried that application, once installed the HTC shows up in Device Manager as usb disk. maybe there is no Android software available, but if Win 7 is doing the conversion for N97 there must be some way to get it to do the same for any device that requires MP4. I can do the conversion using 3rd party software from Arcsoft but the win 7 to nokia was much handier.
    According to Application - HTC Sync 3.0 for HTC Legend、Desire、Wildfire、Aria、Hero (Android2.1) your device should show up in the HTC software as the correct phone.It appears from the software web page that HTC intends you to control everything from within the software. That is not up to Windows to decide. It is a "feature" of the HTC software.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I plug in my Android phone, it displays a menu asking me how I want to connect (battery recharge mode, USB disk mode, sync mode, and ???). You will want to select sync mode or else the HTC sync app will not see it. There is a configuration setting about this where you can set it to automatically choose one of these options. If you are not seeing the dialog, you will have to go into your phone's Settings | Connect to PC and change it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    yes, I've tried connecting the phone through HTC sync software mentioned above but it won't sync .wtv files. I have to convert them first.
    It seems to me that Windows is doing the conversion for the Nokia phone as I connect it using only windows not nokia software.

Administrator
    Thanks
    The device vendors such as Nokia & HTC are responsible for supplying drivers to Microsoft for inclusion into Windows. The OEMs decide the capabilities included in the drivers. Microsoft does NOT make those design decisions. If HTC does not include that capability in their software it is their decision. When you try to access the device not using the HTC software and it is seen as a USB device that is also HTC's decision. Microsoft can and does assist thrid party vendors in getting drivers to work and fixing bugs. However, Microsoft does not have the legal authority to arbitrarily change third party software (and they've been sued for doing it - see the Sun/Java suit).

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much Joe, I now understand what's happening, i'll just have to put up with 3rd party conversion unless and until HTC bring out software.
    vince