New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I realized that I wasn't getting Windows Updates I manually performed the updates and all of them failed and gave me the error code: 0x0070422. On further investigation I found a couple of reasons given. The Automatic Updates always has been correct. The problem is BITS. I went into Services.msc and set BITS to started and automatic. Then I could download and install the updates. The problem is that it won't stay started or automatic. I just had to do this today to be able to download the large amount of Windows updates that I hadn't been notified about until I read Susan Bradley's Patch Watch.

Does someone know of a way to keep this service set to start and automatic?

Thank you.

Thanks
    Hi Dale, and welcome to the Lounge!

What Windows OS are you using?

Have you installed any new software recently?

Have you checked the Event Viewer Logs - Applications and System logs to see if there are any other error codes associated with the stopping of BITS?
    The BITS is dependent on the Com+ Event Service and the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service (and DCOM Server Process Launcher and RPC Endpoint Mapper) . So look for errors involving these services.

There may be some System files that need refreshing or replacing. Try running sfc /scannow with the spaces as typed in a Command Prompt window. If you are in XP, just click on Command Prompt in the Start>All Programs>Accessories menu. If you use Vista or Windows 7, right click Command Prompt in Accessories and select Run as administrator. You may be prompted to insert your Windows installation CD/DVD. This will take some time, but it will check vital System files for integrity. It is a good first step.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale McKee View Post
    These instructions are for Win 7 but are similar for the other versions. For any service, go to Computer | Manage, then under Services and Applications | Services, right click the desired service. In the service attributes dialog, change the Startup Type:
    [attachment=90309:bits.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Gerald and Peter for replying. I am running XP. Also, I do not have a setting for delayed Automatic in BITS. In reading your replies it may have something to do with my tinkering in trying different programs. There is one program I should never have tried and it is called Seven, I think. It converts a lot of files to make my computer work like I had Win7. It was a cool program but when I went to go back to XP I found it prevented me from seeing System Information. WinXP says I can't see these files. I am not sure what else. Not everything got converted back.

I have installed a program or two recently but this problem probably happened when I installed the Seven skin. I am glad it returned my computer mostly to me

My computer seems to function ok since I changed back except for the aforementioned problems. I had this program for about 3 to 4 months. I still have the wallpaper Seven which I keep to remind me not to do something without thinking alot about doing it. And of course I failed to create a System Restore point like I almost always do. So...my bad.

Thanks again and I'll hang around here some more hoping to pick up some more knowledge.

Dale

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Delayed Automatic is in Win 7 only, in XP just set it to Automatic.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Gerald and Peter for replying. I am running XP. Also, I do not have a setting for delayed Automatic in BITS. In reading your replies it may have something to do with my tinkering in trying different programs. There is one program I should never have tried and it is called Seven, I think. It converts a lot of files to make my computer work like I had Win7. It was a cool program but when I went to go back to XP I found it prevented me from seeing System Information. WinXP says I can't see these files. I am not sure what else. Not everything got converted back.

I have installed a program or two recently but this problem probably happened when I installed the Seven skin. I am glad it returned my computer mostly to me

My computer seems to function ok since I changed back except for the aforementioned problems. I had this program for about 3 to 4 months. I still have the wallpaper Seven which I keep to remind me not to do something without thinking alot about doing it. And of course I failed to create a System Restore point like I almost always do. So...my bad.

Thanks again and I'll hang around here some more hoping to pick up some more knowledge.

Dale
    Seven is a theme pack, can you do a system restore right after you installed seven.

Thanks
    When I realized that I wasn't getting Windows Updates I manually performed the updates and all of them failed and gave me the error code: 0x0070422. On further investigation I found a couple of reasons given. The Automatic Updates always has been correct. The problem is BITS. I went into Services.msc and set BITS to started and automatic. Then I could download and install the updates. The problem is that it won't stay started or automatic. I just had to do this today to be able to download the large amount of Windows updates that I hadn't been notified about until I read Susan Bradley's Patch Watch.

Thank you.
    I run Windows XP Pro 32-bit on one of my laptops. While I use the manual method to get only those updates recommended by Woody Leonhard or Susan Bradley, the requirements for the Security Center Automatic Updates process are essentially the same.

I find that BITS wants to be set to Manual, and most of the time this is the setting maintained by Windows XP Pro. Leaving it this way does not prevent manual updating (through IE and the Microsoft Windows Updates Web Site) from operating, providing that the Automatic Updates Service is also set to Automatic and Started. As added insurance, just before I go to Microsoft Updates in IE, I manually Start BITS in the Administrator Control Panel. (Or, in Services from the Control Panel.)

Here's what I would do in your situation. Go through the manual process. Set Internet Explorer to go to Microsoft Updates at the Microsoft Web Site. Let the manual process go through all of its steps. Your Windows Updates software may get updated. You may see an error page or two telling you what has not worked on your local computer. You may be offered to fix any errors found. At the end of the complete process (which does take a long time in some cases as Windows Updates scans your computer to determine which updates to offer to you) your updating mechanisms should all be up to date and properly Registered in the Windows Registry (another common cause of updating failure issues).

Let us know if this method restores your Windows Updates to their former glory. If not, post back and we can dig a bit deeper.

I do wonder if the Themes set up by Seven might have messed around with the Windows Registry. This could mean more trouble ahead for you in other areas. This is why I am very skeptical of Third-Party tweaking programs in Windows XP. Voice of experience -- I have had my own share of similar disasters.
    -- Bob Primak --

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm using XP SP3, and in my experience Windows Update works fine with BITS set to Manual. When I want to check for updates, like just after Patch Tuesday, I run this batch file:

::
    :: Reinitialise the Windows Update log.
    cd C:\Windows
    del /q /s /f "WindowsUpdate.log"
    copy C:\Utilities\WindowsUpdateLog.txt "WindowsUpdate.log"
    :: Start the Windows Update service.
    sc config wuauserv start= auto
    sc start wuauserv
    :: Now run Windows Update via Internet Explorer. Pause when finished.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\muweb.dll,LaunchMUSite
    pause
    :: When finished, stop the service and disable it.
    sc stop wuauserv
    sc config wuauserv start= disabled
    pause

This file firstly reinitialises the Windows Update log file (otherwise it gets too big and full of garbage), then it starts the Windows Update service (Automatic Updates), which is normally set to Disabled so I don't get those annoying pop-ups. The next command uses Internet Explorer to run Windows Update, which works fine. When the updates are done and Internet Explorer is exited, and the pause prompt is actioned, the Windows Update service is stopped and disabled until next time. Having the BITS service set to Manual during this process is OK; it is started and stopped automatically as required.