Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Index.dat file

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I have just read that there are hidden files on our computers that contain all of the Web sites that we have ever visited...".every URL, every Web page is listed there." These files are called Index.dat File(s). What program can I use to erase the Index.dat file?

Thank you.

Moon

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You browser will have options to clear this out. In IE 8, go to Safety | Delete Browsing History. In Firefox, go to Tools | Options | Privacy and select "Clear history when Firefox closes" and exit Firefox. In Chrome go to Options, Under the Hood and click Clear Browsing Data.

Thanks
    Good question moon, and often overlooked. Your index.dat file can grow, mine was over 2 MBs.

These files can be notoriously difficult to remove because they are protected operating system files. Aside from deleting them with an
    MS style dos boot disk, which can be a laborious task, this little program will do the trick quite nicely;

Privacy Mantra (Free)
    (Requires a system reboot after completion)

Read more here...
    Clear your index.dat in Windows 7! (Major Privacy Issue)

If I'm not mistaken, IE will only delete some of the contents of your browsers cache, CCleaner will delete just a little bit more, but not the
    index.dat files that reside in your browser's cache.
    Index.dat

I have not tried this: DELTA2.bat
    If someone would like to check it out and comment.
    EDIT
    I put CCleaner to the test and it did not delete the index.dat file for the browser cache, even though it has
    a specific check box for index.dat. It is a protected operating system file and cannot be deleted while
    Windows is running, but it can be viewed if you have the permissions needed to access it's browser cache folder.

Use the attached "Take ownershipt" script in conjunction with Window's explorer's "show hidden files and folders" setting to view the contents of the index.dat file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    One potential way to remove the index.dat file, although I havn't confirmed it, would be to run CCleaner in the absence of the explorer shell:
    Open task manger and go to the processes tab. Find explorer.exe and select "End Process".
    Go back to the application tab and select "New Task". From there locate CCleaner and run it.
    (Ensure that the "index.dat" box is checked)

This may also be of some use:
    Open task manger and go to the processes tab. Find explorer.exe and select "End Process".
    Go back to the application tab and select "New Task". From there copy and paste the quoted in the
    "new task" box; "%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535"

Comments please
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your responses Clint and Peter.

From what I have read, neither manual deletion nor browser deletion options will remove Index.dat files, which are buried deep within the OS. I therefore tried Clint's suggestion: Privacy Mantra (Free). I downloaded it and ran it without any problems. Tracks Eraser Pro ($29.95) and Tracks Eraser ($19.95) are two other programs I found that delete Index.dat files (Link: http://www.acesoft.net/download.htm). I will give one of them a try and let you know how it works out.

I might note here that evidently many people are totally unaware of the existence of Index.dat files and, when queried, Microsoft has given neither a satisfactory reason for the existence of these files nor for the impossibility of removing them without specialized programs..

Moon

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    index.dat files need to be deleted during a boot because are unavailable during normal system usage. You can use a free tool such as PendMoves v1.1 and MoveFile v1.0 to accomplish the deletion.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP is right has to be done right after login

This waxes it all. You will see that there are like 20 index.dat files in your profile so you can tweak this to get them all.
    I create a cmd file and a reg entry. Either you can run it each time you login or 1 time only
    My passwords still work after so no harm there.
    What do you think those programs are doing need a reboot? exactly what I am doing

To delete all each reboot we add to HKCU Run
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run]
    "TempDel"="C:\\CacheKiller.cmd"

To run 1 time we add here
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunOnceEx\xCacheKill]

CacheKiller.cmd is placed on C:\
    Code:
    cd %homedrive%%homepath%
    cd "%homedrive%%homepath%\AppData\Local"

rd /s/q "%homedrive%%homepath%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History"
    rd /s/q "%homedrive%%homepath%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5"
    rd /s/q "%homedrive%%homepath%\AppData\Local\Temporary Internet Files"
    rd /s/q "%homedrive%%homepath%\AppData\Local\temp"
    rd /s/q "%homedrive%%homepath%\AppData\Local\cookies"
    rd /s/q "%homedrive%%homepath%\AppData\Local\history"
    rd /s/q Recent
    rd /s/q cookies
    rd /s/q temp
    rd /s/q history
    md "%homedrive%%homepath%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History"
    md "%homedrive%%homepath%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\History.IE5"
    md "%homedrive%%homepath%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5"

md "%homedrive%%homepath%\AppData\Local\Temporary Internet Files"
    md "%homedrive%%homepath%\AppData\Local\temp"
    md "%homedrive%%homepath%\AppData\Local\cookies"
    md "%homedrive%%homepath%\AppData\Local\history"
    md Recent
    md cookies
    md temp
    md history
    EXIT

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe,

If I download and execute PendMoves v1.1 and MoveFile v1.0, will the program automatically execute at startup or will I have to make the settings? If I must make the settings, will there be a menu to guide me?

This novice is really learning.

Thank you.

Moon

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moon1130 View Post
    If I download and execute PendMoves v1.1 and MoveFile v1.0, will the program automatically execute at startup or will I have to make the settings? If I must make the settings, will there be a menu to guide me?
    There is a brief summary of how to use the programs on the download page. I'm afraid that is all the help there is. However, the usage is very straight forward.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Joe. I will go to the download page and see what I am able to fathom.

Veegertx, I am also interested in your routine to delete the Index.data files at each instance of a reboot:

But before I can use it, I will have to learn how to "read" it. For example, for CDFURRENT_USER, do I put my name? For CurrentVersion, do I substitute anything there? I think that it is going to e fun learning this.

Moon

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moon1130 View Post
    Veegertx, I am also interested in your routine to delete the Index.data files at each instance of a reboot:

But before I can use it, I will have to learn how to "read" it. For example, for CDFURRENT_USER, do I put my name? For CurrentVersion, do I substitute anything there? I think that it is going to e fun learning this.

Moon
    As I said this is a total Cache killer deleting everything including browsing history for Internet Explorer

When modding the registry you need a sample reg file. For keys we are doing you can simply create a text file and add.
    Code:
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    Rename to CacheKiller.reg and place your CacheKiller.cmd on root of C: drive and double click the .reg file. If something is wrong it will not add them keys and will give error.

Note that this simple will not work on all keys in a Windows 7 registry
    HKCU is the currrent user and is you. No need to change anything it knows.

EDIT: That 1 key has been there since Win 95A and the registry has been around since win 3.1*, I forget exactly

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by veegertx View Post
    CacheKiller.cmd is placed on C:\
    Code:
    cd %homedrive%%homepath%
    cd "%homedrive%%homepath%\AppData\Local"

rd /s/q "%homedrive%%homepath%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History"
    rd /s/q "%homedrive%%homepath%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5"
    rd /s/q "%homedrive%%homepath%\AppData\Local\Temporary Internet Files"
    rd /s/q "%homedrive%%homepath%\AppData\Local\temp"
    rd /s/q "%homedrive%%homepath%\AppData\Local\cookies"
    rd /s/q "%homedrive%%homepath%\AppData\Local\history"
    rd /s/q Recent
    rd /s/q cookies
    rd /s/q temp
    rd /s/q history
    md "%homedrive%%homepath%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History"
    md "%homedrive%%homepath%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\History.IE5"
    md "%homedrive%%homepath%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5"

md "%homedrive%%homepath%\AppData\Local\Temporary Internet Files"
    md "%homedrive%%homepath%\AppData\Local\temp"
    md "%homedrive%%homepath%\AppData\Local\cookies"
    md "%homedrive%%homepath%\AppData\Local\history"
    md Recent
    md cookies
    md temp
    md history
    EXIT
    On the machine I'm using now, I only have an "index.dat" file in a couple of the paths you have listed, and I have several in paths you have not listed.

You don't have LocalLow or Roaming, and there are a number of programs with internet capabilities that also have index.dat files.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Using Agent Ransack for search I had 20 of them in multiple folders.
    I just Acronised back and only have 9 now. As I said this needs to be tweaked
    A bunch were in sub folders of these that get deleted when you delete parent

Local\Microsoft\Windows\History"
    Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5"
    Local\Temporary Internet Files"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Here are the 36 index.dat files Windows Search found under Users\bbearren\AppData on this machine. There are two more user accounts on this machine in addition to the default Administrator account.

[attachment=90320:Local index.dat.PNG]
    [attachment=90321:LocalLow index.dat.PNG]
    [attachment=90322:Roaming index.dat.PNG]

There are also index.dat files in other locations on the machine, such as application folders in the Program Files folder. I don't bother with removing any of them, though. My web history is no big secret; the same information about my internet history can be compiled fairly easily from the internet with some fairly simple tools.

And I'm not afraid of Microsoft.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I need to correct that for Win 7 when I made the script it was XP and served it's purpose.

I am not hiding nothing being only user. What I done with this is clean out userprofile Temp, Internet Files, Cookies, History, and such to observe what happen's when applications install. Some expand to Temp and run from there so by grabbing what it extracts there it is easier to setup for a silent install. Harder to find with 10,000 files in it

Also some asked for it with my tweaking program so I added
    Results in a speed boost also

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast