Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My friend's PC runs Win XP. A couple of weeks ago he started getting this error message at start-up: "One of the files containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful." After this the PC runs fine.

He defraged the HDD, I ran CCleaner. No success so far. Any suggestions?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The hard disk could be on it's way out, resulting in corruption of files. Perform a backup now!
    Run a disk check by right clicking on the disk in Explorer and selecting Properties > Tools > Check now. If you find bad sectors I would go to the disk manufacturers web site and download their disk health checking program.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That was also my first inclination. You might also try a repair install of XP if no hardware problems can be found.

Thanks
    Found this potential fix with a web search. :
    The problem:

I think this problem has something to do with file permissions for the ntuser.dat file or the directory it is located under. (typically located at c:\Documents and Settings\(username)\ntuser.dat) Ntuser.dat is the user specific registry file for HKEY Current User under regedit.

My fix for this:

**Note: You must enable hidden files and folders under tools folder options**

1. Create a new user account with administrative rights on the affected machine. Navigate to the affected user's profile directory and copy ntuser.dat to a folder named backup on your C: drive.

(example for a user named dave: copy c:\Documents and Settings\dave\ntuser.dat to c:\backup)

2. Once you have backed up the ntuser.dat file, overwrite it with the one located in c:\windows\repair\

(example for a user named dave: copy c:\windows\repair\ntuser.dat to c:\Documents and Settings\dave\ )

3. Log off the temporary account you have created and login to the affected user account and let windows fully load up. This will create a new ntuser.dat file under the user's profile.

4. Once windows has fully loaded up, log back out of the affected user's account and log back into the temporary account you made earlier.

5. Copy the ntuser.dat file you backed up earlier to the user's profile directory overwriting the new file that was created.

(example for a user named dave: copy c:\backup\ntuser.dat to c:\Documents and Settings\dave\ )

6. Log out of the temporary account and log back into the computer under the affected account and see if the problem is fixed.