Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

d in Discussion fora

Hi,

I've used Front Page 2000 (for the first time) to start up a discussion forum (which is, of course, nowhere as good in its format as this).

However, I'm stuck with the format for now.

Does anyone have any experience with managing a forum using FP2000? It was easy to start, but I don't know where to go, for instance, to delete posts, to change formats, or whatever.

I've done some things just using HTML, but I've been having some troubles.

Thanks

Geoff
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Thanks

Re: Managing a discussion forum

The first step in Managing a discussion forum is to turn on your view of hidden directories/documents for the web.
    Go to Tools, Web Settings and select the Advanced Tab.
    Select the option to display documents in hidden directories.
    With that on, you should be able to locate the directory containing all posts.
    This would allow you to delete inappropriate posts.
    You'll also be able to see the _borders directory to update the header/footer of your discussion.
    A word of caution (springing from my FP98) experience. Careful what you delete sometimes your table of contents can get messed up (tho' FP2000 appears more resistant to this). You might want to experiment on a sample web first.

Cheers
    Catharine
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Katharine,

Thanks very much for that. I'll give it a go.

Can I work directly on the published website- or do I have to work on a local copy (I am really new to Front Page.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Thanks

You can work on the published website if you wish - it depends on your tolerance for human error.

Catharine
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

New Lounger
    Thanks

This makes me wonder, (not having used the Discussions feature before), if you are working on a local copy of the site which you then publish to your ISP, are posts which are made on the published (ISP) site downloaded to your local copy when the publish command is issued?

Thanks

I'd start by publishing the public site to myself (my local copy). Then edit the local copy and publish back to the ISP.
    Publishing is really just a way to transfer all the files, but it is not really like synchronizing or replicating a database. Traffic is one-way. What could happen if you simply edit your local copy and publish up (without getting the latest info) is that FP deletes new posts that weren't in your local copy. Although FP will warn you it wants to remove files that don't have a match in your local copy.
    This could be troublesome if you have a very active discussion. That's why it might be better to directly edit the ISP's version of the discussion.
    Cheers.
    Catharine
    WebGenii Home Page

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. As you may have spotted, I am a Lotus Notes user and replication of databases seemed a very natural thing to do!