Thread: M/BOARD PROBLEM

Lounger
    Thanks

M/BOARD PROBLEM

If anyone could help me i would be very appreciative.

I recently upgraded my motherboard well Saturday. ANyway i had got everything on the motherboard connectors etc, and when i booted up everything looked ok, until i went to format my hardrive and found that it couldn't find the floppy drive. My motherboard is an Abit KT7 Raid. I swapped the floppy cables about and still no joy. Then when i tried to boot up again, nothing on the screen at all. The Northbridge Fan is spinning as is the processor fan but nothing else on the motherboard, no screen to get into the bios and no hardrive booting up. Does someone know what i have done wrong or what a fix is for this. I am tearing my hair out here.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: M/BOARD PROBLEM

Let's start from the top. What CPU & memory are you using? Overclocking?

Is the FDD recognised in the BIOS setup or am I right in understanding that you can't even get this far any more? You say that it booted OK, is this from floppy or HDD? Are there any beeps made when you power up the machine? If so, how many and how long?

Are you using an AGP graphics card? Have you tried reseating it and attaching it to the board securely?

Have you tried carefully reseating everything on the board, making sure you're properly earthed etc.? Is the fan heat sink in good contact with the CPU? Are any of the CPU pins bent over?

Have you connected the floppy cable the right way round at the drive end?

Do you have another compatible system you can test individual components on?

Sorry for all the questions, but it may save dozens of to-and-fro posts for this thread.

Marc

Lounger
    Thanks

I have a duron 800mhz processor with 256sdram in 1 dimm slot running at 133mhz

I could boot from my Hard Drive only, it would not find the floppy drive and could not boot from CD.

I am using a pci graphics card, a voodoo 3 pci. I have reseated all components and none of the pins on cpu are bent.

Connected floppy both ways on mobo and on floppy drive

And no other system to chekc components on. One thing is the actual led jumpers on mobo, perhaps i am getting them wrong way round. Or something is shorting out as the motherboard is not raised enough, it is on one side, but ran out of raisers.

dalace

This may sound stupid but did you check to see if the light on the floppy drive lights up when you turn on the computer even after to switch the cables? If not you may want to make sure the power supply cable is plugged in properly.
    You didn't mention this anywhere, does the system give you a message letting you know that there is something wrong with the floppy drive?

Lounger
    Thanks

I cannot get into the bios even now, and no the green light has never been on, i rebooted the pc last night with bare bones system and tried to find out where the problem lies. And i found this, when i boot the pc without the ide cables connected to the motherboard as in HD, then the HD comes upto speed. Yet the minute i connect the HD up to the motherboard the hard drive does not come upto speed and the computer does nothing apart from boot the processor and fans up. I have changed the ide cables and put the hd in ide1 and ide 2, but still no joy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Make sure your HD is set to be the MASTER device, and your CD, if on the same IDE Channel, is set for SLAVE.
    Christopher Baldrey

Lounger
    Thanks

Yeh they are on seperate ides anyway, and i cannot even get into the bios to set anything like that up now anyway. I need to get into bios first. Or just get something on the screen or some beeps.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Have you checked the physical jumper settings on the drives themselves? You don't need to be in the BIOS for that....
    Christopher Baldrey

Lounger
    Thanks

yeh i have checked and they are both set to masters, as they are on seperate ide channels this should be ok

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Are you sure the hard disk is plugged into IDE1? Try disconnecting the cd completely and see what happens.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've read through all the posts to date. Have you tried resetting the BIOS? Look in the manual for a Clear BIOS jumper on the board. Usually you move a jumper from pins 1-2 to 2-3, leave for 30 seconds, then return to original position.

I have received many a board that need to start with a BIOS reset. In fact, any new board I get I begin with clearing the BIOS. It returns all settings back to factory default.

Incidentally, do the Northbridge fan and the CPU fan plug into the motherboard?

Lounger
    Thanks

i've actually got it sorted, i rest the bios like someone said, and tried another floppy drive and voila booted no problems. Thanks everyone who put a suggestion in.