Thread: System Images

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    My OS is Win 7 Professional 32 bit. I have taken a system image using the app built into the system. Am I right in thinking that if I need to restore my system using the system image I have to create a system repair disc? Also, will the image include everything on my C drive at the time the image was made, including program files, user accounts etc. etc.? If not, what do I need to back up separately by other methods?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy Whitethread
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Hi Roy,

If you chose Create a system image in Windows 7 Backup then your entire C:\ partition would be included in the image backup. To prepare for the possibility that you at some point would not be able to boot into Windows 7, then burning a System Repair Disk in Windows Backup would be the way to ensure your ability to restore your image backup. The System Repair Disk is essentially a full working copy of the Windows 7 Recovery Environment that includes the ability to boot your computer from the DVD and restore your image backup to your system partition, overwriting anything currently on the partition.

If your user files, programs and settings are stored on your C:\ system drive partition, they will be included in the image backup. If your data or program files are on a different partition, then you would need to specify inclusion of that partition in the image backup. If your user files are on a separate physical hard disk, then you would need to either image that disk or just make a backup of your user files for future restoration.

If you are interested in other imaging backup solutions, check out the following threads in the Security and Backups forum:

Acronis True Image 2010 Tutorial by Ted Meyers

Acronis True Image 2011 Instructions by Ted Meyers

Step-by-step Instruct on creating image:Macrium Reflect Free by mercyH

Also there are several threads about image backups, including this one about Windows 7 Backup.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Gerald,

Thank you, sincerely, for your quick reply,which answers my question.

Regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Gerald, thanks for the plug on my threads on using Acronis.

Roy, To expand upon Gerald's comment I believe if you have an original Win 7 installation disk this also includes the recovery environment, but creating a System Repair Disk is a great idea. You do not mention where you store your image. Another partition or HD are good options, or and Ext HD (this is what I use) is another great option. Be sure to get into the habit of creating an up to date image of your system whenever a major change takes place, as the time required to restore your PC if disaster strikes is only as good as your image. You may find that the built in Win 7 back up is somewhat limited for creating these up to date images. Third party apps have significantly more features available than the built in back up. You may wish to explore some of these.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted,

Thanks for the follow up.

I do have my original Win 7 installation disc. Am I right in thinking that in view of this I don't need a System Repair disc? (I store my system image on a separate internal hard drive).

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Whitethread View Post
    Hi Ted,

I do have my original Win 7 installation disc. Am I right in thinking that in view of this I don't need a System Repair disc? (I store my system image on a separate internal hard drive).

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    I would still creat the system repair disk. You can never be too careful and it will fit on a CD which is cheap insurance.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The original Win7 install disk will boot into the restore environment so it can be used to restore an image.

I have the original disk and have also created the restore disk. I know it is redundant but I guess I am with Ted on this, I would rather have two then none...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Whitethread View Post
    Hi Ted,

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    win 7 installation disk will suffice.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyh View Post
    The original Win7 install disk will boot into the restore environment so it can be used to restore an image.

I have the original disk and have also created the restore disk. I know it is redundant but I guess I am with Ted on this, I would rather have two then none...
    Some people go so far as to create a copy of their original installation disk so that the original can be put in storage and not used to preserve it's pristeen condition. My feeling is that a system repair disk will work as effectively for this purpose and to restore my OS I use Images anyway so I do not have to go the route of reinstall of OS and apps. Takes too long, whereas an Image takes about 15 minutes to restore back to where the image was created. If the Image is kept up to date, then in 15 minutes you are back to where you were. I believe mercyh agrees with this philosophy as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted and mercyh,

I appreciate your helpful comments, and will make a system repair disc to be on the safe side.

Best regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Takes too long, whereas an Image takes about 15 minutes to restore back to where the image was created. If the Image is kept up to date, then in 15 minutes you are back to where you were. I believe mercyh agrees with this philosophy as well.
    Yep,

I did a hard drive replacement on a laptop last night for one of my customers. It took about 2hrs total (including physically replacing the drive and testing that the new drive was good.) Before using images or cloning for this task, it was a 4-6hr job depending on how many programs I had to reinstall and what data needed to be brought over.