New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an HP G50-112NR. Purchased in Nov 2008, it came with Windows Vista. (In Nov 2009?), I purchased an educational upgrade $29 for Windows 7 professional. This upgrade did not come with an installation disk or even an ISO file. Upgrade worked fine until:

I installed AyRecovery Professional on April 17, 2010 (GiveAway of the Day) and it worked fine for two months. In June 2010, during a recovery, I hit the escape key to abort the recovery. This resulted in my computer no longer being able to boot. (I still have my original drive with Vista in it, which I've been using since June)

Is there any way to restore the boot sector so that it is able to boot without reinstalling?

I have been unsuccessful with the suggestions from AyRecovery support.
    Thank you for your assistance.

As a side issue, apparently AyRecovery creates its own allocation table, I can access my files by placing the hard drive in a USB enclosure, but no files are shown after I installed AyRecovery on April 17.

Thanks
    Hi Gerald, and welcome to the Lounge!

If you downloaded the ISO image and burned an installation DVD, then you can boot from it to run the Recovery Environment.

If you do not have a bootable Win7 DVD, if you can borrow a friend's Windows 7 installation DVD, you can boot to it and start the Windows Recovery Environment. This Microsoft Knowledge Base article provides instructions on how to restore the MBR, etc. This works for Vista and Windows 7.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Gerald! Unfortunately, MS - Digital River (or whoever) did not give an ISO. It was some sort of executable. The only Win 7 install disk I have ready access to, is a free upgrade that Dell gave when my dad bought a Vista Dell, before Win 7 was actually released. I can try that, but my hunch is it will not work on an HP (only Dell).

In the past, I have restored the boot sector on a windows machine, by executing a command on the command line, but I'm obviously a little foggy on that.

Kind of crazy, I had a hunch that the $29 upgrade using an executable might end up being a problem.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What about using EasyBCD to restore Windows 7 MBR?
    EasyBCD Link

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Any DVD for Win 7 should help you in restoring the BCD. It might depend on the flavor - for example, a Home Premium DVD will work if you Home Premium installed, but another flavor like Prefessional might or might not let you restore the BCD (it all depends on when the DVD checks the flavor).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for some good suggestions. I tried the EasyBCD and downloaded the windows 7 repair disk. Ran it and it said that it was successful, but not luck. When I boot, I get the AyRecovery startup screen, then afterwards, I get the message "No operating system" (Or something to that effect). I remember the command that I used to execute: sys (drive). This would make the target drive bootable. I don't know if that command will work under vista with my win7 drive connected by usb.

Does anyone have any more suggestions? I am okay with doing a clean install, but then I expect to have problems with activating win 7, since it was activated on the crashed drive. Hopefully they won't give me too much grief.

Thanks again for the comments.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Jennings View Post
    Thanks for some good suggestions. I tried the EasyBCD and downloaded the windows 7 repair disk. Ran it and it said that it was successful, but not luck. When I boot, I get the AyRecovery startup screen, then afterwards, I get the message "No operating system" (Or something to that effect). I remember the command that I used to execute: sys (drive). This would make the target drive bootable. I don't know if that command will work under vista with my win7 drive connected by usb.

Does anyone have any more suggestions? I am okay with doing a clean install, but then I expect to have problems with activating win 7, since it was activated on the crashed drive. Hopefully they won't give me too much grief.

Thanks again for the comments.
    I have found that reinstalls at times take a lot less time than trouble shooting a problem like this. If you are installing on the same PC, the key you used previously should work again assuming the same version of Win 7. If any problems, a call to Microsoft is not a difficult thing to do. They are generally very helpful.

Dump AyRecovery so this does not happen again.

Make Images of your OS. This would have allowed you to restore your OS partition in less than 15 minutes. Even purchasing a 3rd party app is cheaper than your cost for the time spent on trying to solve this problem. I use Acronis True Image Home 2011 and 2010 (wife's PC) Highly recommend. Then reimage whenever a change is made (app added, etc) to keep your image up to date. See the Security and Backups forum for many suggestions and instructions for Imaging and just do it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted. I'm pleased to hear that the activation probably won't be a problem. And yes, I indeed plan to dump AyRecovery, and I already am an avid Acronis user (thanks to Gizmo's Support Alert). I have images of most of my installations...just not the one that I need...

Thanks again to all who have posted.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Jennings View Post
    Thanks Ted. I'm pleased to hear that the activation probably won't be a problem. And yes, I indeed plan to dump AyRecovery, and I already am an avid Acronis user (thanks to Gizmo's Support Alert). I have images of most of my installations...just not the one that I need...

Thanks again to all who have posted.
    Shame on you. Always make an up to date Image. Hope the reinstall goes well, then IMAGE! Have a great afternoon. Cheers, Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a follow up. As I mentioned earlier, I downloaded the EasyBCD software which directed me to the win7 repair disk. I ran the Startup repair option - which indicated that it was successful, but I still wasn't able to boot.

So, the follow up: A few days later, I noticed JoeP's posting of "How to Manually Repair Windows 7 Boot Loader Problems". So, I booted the repair disk, selected the command line option, and executed "bootrec /fixboot".

It worked! The first reboot said "subsystem removed" (I assume this was the removal of AyRecovery's boot), then it booted to windows 7 as it existed before I installed Ay.

I immediately ran an Acronis image...