Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Visual Basic program CD that I developed several years ago. However, when trying to install it on my W7 computer I get the error message: "Error 1324. The path Chuck's Data contains an invalid character". Any idea what's causing this error and is there anything I can do about it?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The error message appears to be saying that one of the characters in the folder path you have chosen is unacceptable.

You might solve this by checking the path where you are installing and remove any characters that might cause the problem. For instance, I would start by taking the apostrophe out of "Chuck's Data" - perhaps that is the invalid character. Basically, any character that is not a letter or a number could be a suspect - even spaces weren't acceptable in very old versions of Windows and still aren't acceptable in web urls.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately I have no way to get inside the setup.exe file on the CD to change or even determine what the path is. The CD loads just fine on XP. I wonder what W7 has done to change the way programs load. Is there some default path that W7 uses? I wonder if this is related to another problem I see sometimes (but can't remember the particulars). When starting up a program I sometimes get a pop up saying there is no disk in the drive (or some similar wording) whereas I am not trying to load anything from a drive. I just cancel the pop up and things work normally, but I have no idea why W7 is looking for a disk in the first place.

Thanks
    Does it help to copy the entire CD to a folder on the hard drive?

Perhaps try "Windows XP mode" (Download Windows XP Mode)?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Installing from the hard drive results in the same problem. Also, I cannot install the XP mode option as I'm running W7 Home Premium, and as I understand it the XP Mode option can only be installed on the W7 Ultimate (or whatever is above the Home Premium level). Looks like I'm stuck. I have several other older programs that simply won't install on W7.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Tucker View Post
    Looks like I'm stuck. I have several other older programs that simply won't install on W7.
    I can't help thinking its a privilege/permission issue, but being an XP user, I don't have much insight into the workarounds.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you looked at these webpages? They both point to a problem which is probably the apostrophe in "Chuck's Data"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292582
    http://www.technipages.com/error-132...character.html
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggested links; however, those articles refer to XP whereas I'm running W7. They suggested searching the registry for a reference to the path with the error (in this case "Chuck's Data"). I've searched the registry using regedit and I've searched the entire drive using the W7 search facility for "Chuck's Data", but it isn't there anywhere. So I"m at a loss here.