New Lounger
    Thanks
    I need to upgrade both XP and 7 from Home to Pro. After purchasing the necessary licenses, I was told that it is first necessary to Format the computers. Does anyone have any experience with these upgrades? I don't want to format the computers.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For XP I'm pretty sure you have to install fresh, there used to be a "step up" kind of precursor to the anytime upgrade 7 has but I would think that is long gone by now. For 7, as long as the two OS's are either both 32-bit or both 64-bit then the Anytime upgrade is the route to take. If you right click on Computer and go to properties (System) there will be a, Get more features with a new edition of Windows 7, link which can be followed to upgrading (or Google it and get there too).

If you already have the license I'm not sure if you can convert that readily to an anytime upgrade or not but if they are bit-uncompatible then for sure you are going to have to install new.

Thanks
    From XP to Win 7 (any edition) yu must do a clean install. This is not formating the HD. Just insert the DVD, boot to it, choose install Win 7 and install over the XP partition without formating. This will additionally create a folder called windows.old on the C drive that allows you to get stuff from simply by opening the folder. Check out this site for instructions.

I believe Byron's method for the Win 7 to Win 7 upgrade should work well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy