New Lounger
    Thanks
    Balmy Ballmer needs to go....

This nightmare - the upgrade that doesn't work - on a machine with very little extra content, just shows how clueless Microsoft has become.

HOURS wasted trying to upgrade a laptop I bought two weeks before Win7 shipped refuses to upgrade to Win7 from Vista. Home Premium.

I find this unconscionable,

I understand that installing an OS takes time,, but to have to make the attempt over 4 times is ridiculous.

Attempt # 5 is in progress....

Good thing I have two blogs....
    Grins,

Rob M
    "Running" Windows since 1986

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Rob,

Sorry you're having problems with your upgrade. I've successfully upgraded both a Laptop & Desktop from Vista to 7 HP w/o a single glitch. One thing you should make sure that you have installed all the updates for VISTA before attempting the upgrade. It is also advisable to disable your Anti-Virus software. Should all this fail you can do a clean install, since you mention you have very little content on the machine. To do this you need to select that option and have your previous OS disk handy for verification. If you don't have the VISTA OS disk you can do the clean install but don't activate it! Then immediately do an Upgrade install and all should work!

Good Luck.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Rob, hello and I am sorry too that you encounter this install problem. Do not blame Balmer !

It is quite easy to do and I have done umpteen installs of W-7 for myself and friends. We have to find out your missing link.

As it was mentioned by Retired Geek, you might want to try a clean isntall. See the screens that come up as you boot from the install DVD. For the moment, this is as far as we can go, give us more information and somebody here will find a solution for you.

Specifically, do not give up ! Jean.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    This nightmare - the upgrade that doesn't work - on a machine with very little extra content
    upgrade to Win7 from Vista. Home Premium.

I understand that installing an OS takes time,, but to have to make the attempt over 4 times is ridiculous.
    Rob M,
    Hello.... When you say "doesn't work". what exactly do you mean ? ( other than obvious ).. Do you get some kind of error message, .or some other problem ..... Where are you trying to install the "new"....over the old Vista or on another partition ? etc ... more details please. I also (as "Geekster " ) have had no difficulties installing "7" over Vista .. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    I also upgraded 2 pc's using the method http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/cle...rade_media.asp and it did not install properly. I always install http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en . but gives a warning that a certificate can not be verified. So I had to begin again, this time I put Vista Home Premium on pc's using an image made by Acronis 2010. Boot from CD, format, and install with 'key' added. Now it would install DirectX and activated without any trouble. I mailled Paul Thurrot re this, but don't expect a reply. A repair install or system file check does nothing.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    I would NEVER attempt an in place upgrade. I have done 7 clean installs from XP and Vista to Win 7 without a single hitch. When doing a clean install, if you install directly over the Vista partition, the old OS will be placed in a folder called windows.old on the C drive. This folder can be opened and stuff pulled out prior to deleteing the folder. Try the clean install instead of upgrade. It will work.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Hi Ron,

Assuming Vista is already installed on your computer, have you attempted to upgrade to Windows 7 by starting the Windows 7 upgrade from within Vista? That is the norm for doing an "in place" upgrade from Vista to Windows 7. If repeated attempts at the "in place" upgrade have failed, try booting to the Windows 7 upgrade DVD and selecting the "Custom Install" on the screen when it is offered as an option. The "Custom install" can only be done from booting the Windows 7 DVD, and is essentially a clean install, with one difference. During the Custom installation, Windows 7 setup moves your Vista installation to one folder named Windows.old. You can then copy any of your user data files from Windows.old to your fresh Windows 7 install.

Maybe the "custom install" will work where the "in place" upgrade has failed. If there is some problem in your Vista installation at the root of your current Windows 7 upgrade difficulty, then you would be better off with the custom install because existing Vista problems will not be carried over to Windows 7.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What version Vista is on the machine and what version of Windows 7 are you trying upgrade to?

Where did you get your DVD for Windows 7?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone.

I got the DVD from BestBuy where it is going back tomorrow.

I spent 2 -3 hours with Microsoft on the phone and they were remotely logged in. Honestly, the first time I called MS since I started with Windows in 1987.

It is perhaps a bad DVD. I tried dumbing down the machine to 2GB ram, and it did get further into the installation, but it still failed, but now the screen was in like 800x600 res.

I had tried disabling the Comcast version of Norton I was running, which may be a factor. I tried uninstalling it and installing MSE, but of course that wasn't going to work. Aaarrrrgghhh!

Now of course the recovery leaves me without a network connection to my desktop or the internet, whilst installing MSE.

Multiple failures.

I may just put Ubuntu on it and say screw them all.
    But that will probably fail too.

NAHC - Not A Happy Camper
    Grins,

Rob M

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Still not on Win7, but at least a couple of reboots after a Safe mode, got my Vista back, with MSE working and the MS firewall. I also ran Symantec's removal tool, so no more Comcast-branded Norton (switching to FiOS in a couple of weeks anyway). I hope Fred is right about MSE.... Haha.

So at least I am back to Vista (Home Premium SP2, 64bit, and same for attempted 'upgrade' to Win7 - I bought the family pack, and it is one of those things in one's life that you ask yourself, Why?
    I can't even imagine doing this now on my 3 year old XP (vista downgrade) main desktop.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed!

Grins,
    Grins,

Rob M

Thanks
    Did you try the custom install over Vista or continue to try the In Place Upgrade as I suggested. I have read horror stories about the In Place Upgrade, but much fewer problems with the Custom Upgrade. You can also try a format install, but I had great success with the custom install on 4 different PC's.

Another option would be to leave Vista and set up a 2nd partition to hold your Win 7, do a clean install, then when you have Win 7 working the way you wish with the apps you wish and all your customizations, Image the Win 7 partition, use the Imaging app Restore Media to boot to, format the Vista drive and the Win 7 drive, load the Win 7 Image onto the present Vista partition and use the now formated Win 7 partition as a data partition. Find all the instructions on how to do these various operations in many threads, most in the Security and Backup forum.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ON the issue of windows not installing, i have found several articles referring to the fact that a DVD player can read the disk to fast.Thus skipping over parts of the install.
    There solution use a thumb drive to install, or use a slower DVD/CD player which worked for me.
    Good luck HAVE FUN ENJOY THE DAY