2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop with WinXP SP3 and a 9-cell Lithium Ion battery. Dell will not discuss this problem with me without charging a considerable fee.

Recently when I started my computer on AC I received a message saying, "The battery cannot be identified. This system will be unable to charge this battery. Press any key to continue." I then checked the battery power icon and it indicated the battery was charged at 95%. After using the computer on AC for a while, I checked the battery icon again and it indicated 0% (Charging). However, the battery never charges and I get this same message every time I boot up. I recently upgraded to the most recent BIOS for this system (after the problem started), but it did not fix the problem and the problem remains. How can I fix this problem? This battery is only 30 months old.
    Robert

Thanks
    Apparently you are not alone, see here.

If your laptop is in warranty replace the battery, if not, then you might either try a bios update from dell, or a reflash to an earlier bios.
    Go through the above google link, it offers others' testimonials and potential fixes.

At 30 months, your battery is near or at it's usable lifespan, consider a replacement.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.