Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had one MAJOR problem during my adventure of upgrading my machine to Windows 7 64-bit. The printer doesn't work anymore, not the way it did before.

I have an HP 2840 Color Laserjet MultiFunction Printer/Scanner/Copier/Fax.

In 2007, after having such good luck with my previous HP printer (designation forgotten) which lasted about 20-25 years and only ever had one service call on it, I decided to upgrade everything and to use HP equipment.
    As part of this I purchased a fully-64-bit-compliant HP computer (Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700). I had to purchase this directly from an HP Dealer and not through a normal retail store. I did this obviously because I planned to convert to 64-bit when the majority of the software I use was ready. I have had no problem with any of the 64-bit software I'm using on this machine and the difference in speed is wonderful..

As part of that 2007 upgrade I also purchased the afore-mentioned 2840 from a local retail store.

I want to let all you technical people know about this as well as I believe HP is SCREWING OWNERS of this printer OVER.

It was a wonderfull machine. I never used the fax, but the copy, scanning, and printing functions all worked excellently. It even set up multiple printer devices - one for color and one for Black and White only, which allowed the majority of printing to be completed as B&W if that's all that was needed.

HP now tells me that they have no intentions of making anymore than a printing driver available for Win7. I'll admit, the printer generated out of that driver update still produces wonderful, fully color pages. BUT, THERE IS NO B&W MODE OR SCANNING CAPABILITY. At least the copier facilities still work. But, cost of cartridges will definitely go up, and speed of printing is down with just color mode.

While perusing their site I came across a posting that someone had used Virtual PC XP mode to set up the printer within windows. Well, you know what happened next, I went through the process to set Virtual XP up, and made sure my virus-checker, etc. was working properly in that mode, etc.

I then started to use the XP install disc to ATTEMPT to install the printer in the XP mode. Everything was installing fine until it came to the point where I was to plug the USB connection into the back of the computer. As soon as I plugged in the cable Win7 took over and ran off trying to "plug and play" it I guess. THE PROBLEM WAS THAT IT DIDN'T RECOGNIZE THAT THIS WAS THE CABLE THE PRINTER INSTALL IN THE XP MODE WAS LOOKING FOR!!!!!

Is there any way I can get Win7 to let the XP Mode handle the cable insertion???

Does anyone have any ideas??

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried just letting Windows7 do its thing or cancel out of it when possible, like yeah yeah, I know you want to help 7 but shutup.

Then in XP Mode click on the USB dropdown and see if there is a Unidentified device (or something refering to the printer) with an attach, shared or release option just to the right. Clicking on the device if there (hopefully) should bring up a prompt (or just do it in a few seconds) to attach the device to XP Mode only. Then if the HP software is standing by in XP Mode, it should sense the USB activity and find the printer and finish the installation.

This is all theory on my part based on research. I use virtual OS's quite often now but I set all mine up "backwards" in that XP is the host and Windows 7 is the virtual machine. I use VMWare Player...all so I get better rendering performance out of my processors and can use aero glass in remote desktop.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't use XP Mode (so I can't tell you which menus or buttons to use to accomplish what you want) but I have used other VM hosting software (VirtualBox, VMWare Server) and they work much the same. You first have to let Win7 have its way with the printer. After it is done, use the VM hosting software to transfer ownership of the USB device to the client OS (to XP in your case). Once that transfer is complete, XP should see the device and the install should complete. I know that I did these exact same steps, with XP running in VMWare Server, to get my ancient Visioneer scanner working (its software installation said to not plug the scanner in until it asked for it, and when it did and I transfered control, it saw the scanner). And it works just fine - I fire up my XP virtual machine, plug in the scanner, transfer it to XP, XP sees the scanner (though I usually have to prod the connection icon in the task tray to look for it), after which it scans things just fine.