New Lounger
    Thanks
    Currently I am experiencing a prolem with playing DVDs or any of theusic files on my hard drive. This is
    despite the fact that there is no loss of any of the Windows sounds, such as opening or exiting Windows etc.
    With a CD in the drive Media Player indicates playback visually by progressive movement of the pointer
    on the progress bar, but no sound. If I click on the CD drive a screen message reads "Windows cannot access the specified
    device, path or file. You may not have the nessary permission to access". although running Windows as an Administrator
    Device Manager does not tindicate anything untoward under either the CD drives or Sound, video and game
    controllers all indicating that the devices are operating properly,.
    Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Hi Geoff, what if any 'codecs' have you installed ?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If all else failes try VideoLan (VLC). It will play almost any audio/video format.
    VLC is here

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner,
    I regret to say that I am completely ignorant regarding codecs but can say with some certainty that I have not
    knowingly installed any.
    My ignorance extends to the point of assuming that Windows 7 instals any files necessary for running Media Player
    (and recognizing the files on the CDs/DVDs) and that, up until a few days ago, this appeared to be the case as I had not
    previously experienced this problem.
    ` Having said this I have been unable to run the sfc /scannow command to check whether any Windows files are
    missing or corrupted because neither is the Windows 7 installation disk recognised on the CD drive

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Cooper View Post
    Hi Roderunner,
    I regret to say that I am completely ignorant regarding codecs but can say with some certainty that I have not
    knowingly installed any.
    My ignorance extends to the point of assuming that Windows 7 instals any files necessary for running Media Player
    (and recognizing the files on the CDs/DVDs) and that, up until a few days ago, this appeared to be the case as I had not
    previously experienced this problem.
    ` Having said this I have been unable to run the sfc /scannow command to check whether any Windows files are
    missing or corrupted because neither is the Windows 7 installation disk recognised on the CD drive
    Hi Geoff, on my desktop W7 Home Prem., I always install K Lite Full Codec Pack http://www.free-codecs.com/download /k_lite_codec_pack.htm plus the update it directs you to after installing. It gives the choice to install for W M Player or Media Player Classic. As I cant stand WMP I always install MPC, which can play everything. I also use Winamp as it stores my music and can play them in shuffle mode.
    You also mentioned System File Check, after installing W7 H Prem on my laptop, I was unable to install DirectX, ran SFC did'nt help so reinstalled correctly, fixed. http://www.filehippo.com/download_winamp/
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Go into the device manager click on the + sign then,RIGHT click on your player to Uninstall then reboot.Allow windows to reinstall you player.If that doesn't work here's a link for a possible repair of your unit;TechnoBuzz If by chance neither solution cures your trouble.I would look into buying another dvd/cd rom player.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My suggestion is almost too obvious, but when my wife complains of this problem, I usually find that something has muted the speaker. We don't know what or why but un-muting it fixes the problem - until next time. (Both our systems are Win 7 but only she gets this problem.)

Look at the little loudspeaker icon at bottom right. Does it have something like a no entry sign over the top of it?

Apologies if this sounds too much like "Is it plugged in?"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Richard,

Many thanks for your suggestion In fact all else did fail, that is to say having spent a considerable amount of time in fruitless endeavours to get back to the situation which applied up to a few days ago. This was when the installed Windows Media Player did play back CDs/DVDs seemingly without the benefit of Codecs.
    Now on the basis of advice from forum members I am that much wiser and more informed and finally gave up in these endavours resorting to VLC as you suggested and once again all is well, at least until Windows 7 presents me with the next problem. ! Thank you again. and also all the other forum members who have made suggestions. .