Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello all, I know this probably a dumb question,but, I have a Sager laptop with a removable video card that is bad, and I cannot buy one anywhere that I looked. The Card is a Nvidia 8700m GT the rumor is Nvidia knows they have a batch of bad 8700's out there but won't admit to a recall.
    Are there any companies out there for laptop video cards?
    Thanks for any help, Jim
    jim ( tinman)
    retired sheet metal worker

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman19 View Post
    Hello all, I know this probably a dumb question,but, I have a Sager laptop with a removable video card that is bad, and I cannot buy one anywhere that I looked. The Card is a Nvidia 8700m GT the rumor is Nvidia knows they have a batch of bad 8700's out there but won't admit to a recall.
    Are there any companies out there for laptop video cards?
    Thanks for any help, Jim
    Tinman,
    Hello... This might be a place to start ... If not "Google is your friend" http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-...ist.844.0.html Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The issue with your video card was caused by improper thermal bonding of the silicon to the carrier by NVidia. This causes the part to warp and unwarp each time it heats up and has cracked the BGA solder joints underneath. But (!!!!); if you have the part reballed with higher quality solder balls and take a little care to blow the dust out every six months, it will be permanently fixed. You can find "reballing services on EBay for about $60 or you might try these guys: http://www.etech-web.com/bga_reballing.htm

Asa note, you will also find folks who will cook it in an oven or use a heat gun and that will only be a temporary fix as the key is in using higher quality solder balls.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank You Davis, I will definitely look into reballing, alot cheaper than $3 to $4 hundred $ new card
    jim ( tinman)
    retired sheet metal worker