Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks
    I am trying to re-install xp on my pc. I am following a set of instructions from a magazine - but have also referred to info on the net - much the same.
    When I boot up on start up I 'press any key' when prompted and the pc goes straight to a screen - blue background with 'Widows set-up' in top LH corner and then proceeds to load various files - - describing them as it does in a white banner at the foot of the page. This is as per the article but with two steps missing When it is finished loading files, the message in the white banner foot of screen reads 'Set-up is starting Windows' but thatís it - it stops there. I get no options. Nor does the pc restart itself - so I am snookered - and puzzled. The drive is already partitioned, by the way, and I have the backups I need

Any ideas please
    Whealie

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The blue screen is just a page holder while Windows loads the files it need to run. Then it actually loads Windows and the drivers for the disk, video etc. If it stops you may have the wrong driver for the hard disk or maybe mobo.

Is the XP CD the original one that came with the PC? Using one from a different manufacturer may be a problem.
    Is it a standard MS Windows CD?
    Do you have a SATA disk or IDE?
    Did the PC work OK with XP before the re-load?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Check your windows cd for deep scratches.If the cd in question looks ok then it sounds as your dvd/cd rom player isn't reading the cd correctly.
    Is this a HP or Dell,what type of system is this you are trying to reinstall on?
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    You may have a problem with the hard drive. Run a thorough checkdisk from a boot disk with the "r" switch enabled, then try again.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the responses. Let me tell you what I can before I try anything else. The machine is a 'clone' pc - ie built by a small local company - now no longer in business. It was state of the art when built - about 7 years ago and has worked well . it still is working fine albeit a bit slow. The hard drive (40g I think) is partitioned with progs on C and data on D
    I have bought a new laptop so now thought I would 'spring clean' the old pc. The pc came with XP home installed. I have the original disk - " For distribution with a new PC only" etc etc on it - in pristine condition plus the installation code - all kosher.
    A pal reckons that I might need to run a special disk (he has one) to reformat the c drive - Thats about all I can tell you. Any further suggestions will be gratefully received
    Whealie

Thanks
    7 years is a long time for computer hardware, particularly hard drives and CD/DVD ROM drives.

Most CD/DVD ROM drives aren't much good after 3 or 4 years let alone 7.
    Open the case and check all physical connections, like power and data cables to ensure they are properly fitted. Do an
    inspection of the main board and clear out the dust that is bound to have built up. [carefully]
    Clean the CD/DVD ROM drives lens and swap out hard drive if you are able.

I'm assuming you are fully capable of entering the BIOS without any issue, yes...
    Check for USB boot options and try them if they are available.
    A pal reckons that I might need to run a special disk (he has one) to reformat the c drive
    I seriously doubt any 3rd party formatting tool is gonna make any difference, the Windows XP's boot CD format option is more than sufficient.
    Check your hardware instead. A third party boot CD like BartPE may be of some use.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    As it still works the hardware is OK.
    My money is still on a driver, most likely the hard disk controller. Open Device Manager and see what driver the disk controller uses, then hope you have a working floppy to load the driver.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again chaps. I'm a bit reluctant to start on the hardware at the mo' because the machine still works.
    There has been a development at this end.
    If I disregard the magazine instructions and go to my computer to view the boot disk in the drive I get a menu saying - Welcome to XP - and four choices - the first being Install Windows XP.If I choose that, it says - cannot continue as the version I'm installing is earlier than the curent version installed - presumably because I'm on Serv pack 3 (?)
    Can I get past this roadblock and should I?

My pal's disk has a freeware gizmo called 'kill it' and it is that that he suggests I use if I want to go down the 'reformat the hard drive first' route
    Further input will be most welcome.
    Whealie

Thanks
    This is as per the article but with two steps missing When it is finished loading files, the message in the white banner foot of screen reads 'Set-up is starting Windows' but that’s it
    What are the missing steps you describe in your original post?
    There should be an option very early on to hit the "F6" key to load any drivers that one would need. The only drivers you would need would be for a RAID configuration.

Are you infact actually doing a clean install?
    What type of install are you attempting????

The Right Way To Install Windows XP By Tweakhound

format c: /s from a dos style boot disk:
    A note for Windows XP Users:
    During the installation of XP you'll be offered the options for formatting your Hard Drive.
    There is no need to do it before that. Windows XP is very capable of formatting the drive for you.

In Windows XP: If you need to format the C: Drive to do a clean install, just put the CD in your drive and reboot the machine. It will eventually offer you the option to delete the C: partition and then create a new C: partition, format it, and install on that new partition.
    You can also check the make and model of your motherboard to see if you need a driver for the controller, I would doubt that this is the case. Most boards will have this
    hard written into them through the bios/controller itself. If you are unsure, there should be a floppy disk that is part of the computer's original equipment with the appropriate drivers on them.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Lounger
    Thanks
    I was trying to follow the instructions on the attached pdf. On P 5 - "Re-install....." is the headline- are the four pics - I get pic one - sort of - I have to be quick to hit 'any button' - then it goes to pic 4 and loads various files then halts - as per my original question. I believe it is a 'clean install' that I'm doing. Terminology does seem to be a changeable feast. I want to wipe the C drive clean and reinstall from scratch.

Thanks
    Research your motherboard first to ensure you don't need an added driver (hard disk controller) at time of load, as PT suggests.
    If you do, get it and place it on a floppy disk and have it at the ready.
    You can boot from a floppy boot disk and use the fdisk command to format the drive, assuming the XP disk won't do it. See the above link in post #9 for the download.

I would also suggest looking through Tweakhound's clean install guide for XP.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Lounger
    Thanks
    You said reinstall XP. If you want to do that Fred langa wrote the book years ago on Information Week:
    http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=189400897
    If you follow this it will leave your installed programs, documents etc untouched but you will have to re-install SP3 and about 90 patches to return to current sate.

If you haven't reinstalled or done a fresh install in 7 years, you should probably do a fresh install.

If your CD is the correct one (it must be the same CD that you installed XP with 7 years ago) and not scratched you should probably replace your CDROM. Like others have said they don't last that long. You could also try cleaning the laser with a swab and rubbing alcohl.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all who responded. Much appreciated. I am however no further forward so can we have one more try please.
    c
    Can we go back to an earlier point, namely:
    "If I go to 'My Computer' to view the boot disk in the drive I get a menu saying - Welcome to XP - and four choices - the first being Install Windows XP.If I choose that, it says - cannot continue as the version I'm installing is earlier than the current version installed - presumably because I'm on Serv pack 3 (?)
    Can I get past this roadblock - ie install the original disk then install the service packs - and should I? How do I get past the roadblock?

Does any one have an answer to this specific question
    Whealie

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Sounds like you are opening the boot disk from within an already running Windows installation. This will give you the upgrade option.
    You need to boot from the CD - you will get a prompt saying "press any key to boot from CD" if it is successful. Press a key and you should be right to format the disk and start from scratch.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul - but this is where we came in! - see my first post
    Cheers
    Whealie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast