5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Word 2007 VBA project where I reference MS Windows Common Controls (mscomct2.ocx) so I can use the Datepicker. This has worked well for me. I took it to the office, and tested and modified the template on a PC there. I experienced no problem. Now when I open the template on my own PC, I get an error saying that an "object is not installed on this machine."

I have the ocs file stored in c:\windwos\SysWOW64.

Can anyone suggest why I don't have trouble going from home to office, but office to home creates a problem?

Thanks,
    Richard Barrett

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm guessing here, but I would suspect you have other controls loaded at the office that are not loaded at home. I had a spreadsheet for showing loaded controls here somewhere.

Aha! Attached the file.
    You need to enable macros, then run Grab_References.

cheers, Paul
    Attached Files Attached Files

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The "missing" control is the datepicker. When I open the VBA project, a message displays for each occurrence of that control in the user forms. But I can go to those forms and drag the datepicker from the toolbox.

I created this template on the home PC, so I know all of the controls in use are installed. If I had had this problem at the office, I would have been less surprised; possibly the ocx was missing there. But I had no problem running and modifying the code, so it would appear that the common control ocx was loaded there.

I'm wondering if the office had a later version of the control; it was backward compatible when I went TO the office, but not when I came FROM the office.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think this is a backwards/forwards version issue. In my experience, if I attach a control to the oldest available version and then open the template which has a newer version of the same control then it happily upgrades. BUT, when I attach a newer control then it doesn't automatically attach the older version of the control.

I think this is forwards compatible but not backwards compatible.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia