Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been using McAfee Internet Suite, but it will soon expire.

Windows Secrets recent newsletter has convinced me that Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) will do the job.

The question: Can I use them both on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit machine until McAfee's tour ends, or will they clash?

joro

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You should never run more than one real time anti-virus solution at a time. You should probably just wait until your McAfee subscription expires.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Joel,

I'd just uninstall McAfee now and install MSE. Then you won't have to worry about going without full protection if you forget when the McAfee runs out.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Rosado View Post
    I've been using McAfee Internet Suite, but it will soon expire.

Windows Secrets recent newsletter has convinced me that Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) will do the job.

The question: Can I use them both on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit machine until McAfee's tour ends, or will they clash?
    Joel,
    Hello ... before you ditch McAfee and install "Mickey MSE" security You should at least have a read at this thread. http://bro.ws/778580L "Suites" have much more in the way of the ability to configure your security system, (how you want) than the "Whinny the Pooh freebies" variety. All "Mickey MSE" has to offer in comparison is ..... that's its "free". Just my "twisted opinion" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    McAfee has had serious problems recently to such an extent that the university my wife works for (in the IT dept.) has dumped them in favor of a competitior. Just my 2 cents.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the helpful replies.

I'm going to follow Joe's advice and keep McAfee until it expires and then see what's available. If MSE still receives high praise from the lounge editors, I'll probably switch to that, although in my 40 years with computers, Microsoft has often promised more than it delivered - and sometimes bit the hand that fed it.

In the thread that Fred gave a link to, I liked the name someone gave this freebie: Mickey mouSE.

joro

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    In the thread that Fred gave a link to, I liked the name someone gave this freebie: Mickey mouSE.

joro
    Joel,
    It was me..... because when comparing "Mickey MSE" to Norton Internet Security 2011...That's exactly what it is Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joel,

I have MSE installed as an "on demand" scanner. After you install it, open it up and go to the "settings" tab. Uncheck the "Run a scheduled scan on my computer" under "Scheduled scans" and the "Turn on Real Time protection" under Real Time Protection. You will now have it installed so that you can get a "second opinion" by right clicking a file or folder and selecting "Scan with Microsoft Security Essentials". After your subscription to McAfee runs out and you uninstall it, all you have to do is recheck the Real Time scanning box and the Scheduled scan if you want it. Have the best of both!

Thanks for the helpful replies.

I'm going to follow Joe's advice and keep McAfee until it expires and then see what's available. If MSE still receives high praise from the lounge editors, I'll probably switch to that, although in my 40 years with computers, Microsoft has often promised more than it delivered - and sometimes bit the hand that fed it.

joro

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Folks,
    We-all are considering two of the major players in unintended software malfunctions - Microsoft and Mcafee.
    Sometimes their products are great - then they "improve" their service by bricking your equipment.
    I've lost countless mission-critical IT hours and hardware to both these companies since 1970
    The best approach is to tread carefully, test in a non-essential environment, and carry a big back-up.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil Brandenburg View Post
    Hi Joel,

I have MSE installed as an "on demand" scanner. After you install it, open it up and go to the "settings" tab. Uncheck the "Run a scheduled scan on my computer" under "Scheduled scans" and the "Turn on Real Time protection" under Real Time Protection. You will now have it installed so that you can get a "second opinion" by right clicking a file or folder and selecting "Scan with Microsoft Security Essentials". After your subscription to McAfee runs out and you uninstall it, all you have to do is recheck the Real Time scanning box and the Scheduled scan if you want it. Have the best of both!
    Great. Thanks Gil.

This is just the kind of help and advice I've been hoping for.

Now for the $64K question: Do you have McAfee or any other major real-time software installed as well as the on-demand MSE?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Great. Thanks Gil.

This is just the kind of help and advice I've been hoping for.

Now for the $64K question: Do you have McAfee or any other major real-time software installed as well as the on-demand MSE?

Yes I do! I use Avast 5 free as my primary and on-demand scanner. I've used Avast for a long time and like some of its features so I keep it as my primary. That being said, I have been using MSE as my back-up and use it as primary on my wife's machines and have never had a problem with either the current version 1 or the beta version 2.

Thanks
    By itself, MSE is not a complete solution. Even in Windows 7, which has a decent Firewall, I also scan with Super Antispyware and HitMan Pro (a free, cloud-based multi-engine second-opinion scanner which is relatively adware and spyware free). If you want a better firewall, try Comodo (firewall with defense plus, but skip their Internet Security) or Zone Alarm Free. All are 64-bit compatible, and some of these offerings are actually Native 64-bit, like MSE (an advantage in stopping some of today's malware threats). It is essential that any third party firewall or suite be Native 64-bit, due to a vulnerability called the Leak-Test or Buffer Overrun vulnerability. Comodo is Native 64-bit.

McAfee is actually not such a bad choice, but I believe it is feature-bloated and offers little benefit to justify its tendency to conflict with non-security programs, including the Microsoft Windows Updates process. Otherwise, if you find you like McAfee, I cannot argue against keeping it and keeping your security in one suite where you don't have as many things to update.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Well reading through all of these posts cinch's the deal for me. My landolord has a paid subscription to McAffee that is ready to expire. She will be going to MSE.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Primak View Post
    By itself, MSE is not a complete solution. Even in Windows 7, which has a decent Firewall, I also scan with Super Antispyware and HitMan Pro (a free, cloud-based multi-engine second-opinion scanner which is relatively adware and spyware free). If you want a better firewall, try Comodo (firewall with defense plus, but skip their Internet Security) or Zone Alarm Free. All are 64-bit compatible, and some of these offerings are actually Native 64-bit, like MSE (an advantage in stopping some of today's malware threats). It is essential that any third party firewall or suite be Native 64-bit, due to a vulnerability called the Leak-Test or Buffer Overrun vulnerability. Comodo is Native 64-bit.

McAfee is actually not such a bad choice, but I believe it is feature-bloated and offers little benefit to justify its tendency to conflict with non-security programs, including the Microsoft Windows Updates process. Otherwise, if you find you like McAfee, I cannot argue against keeping it and keeping your security in one suite where you don't have as many things to update.
    Thanks for the information. Some personal comments:

1. I had Zone Alarm (the paid security suite) and last year on my XP machine found that it let quite a few trojans in (when scanned with AMAV) and a destructive virus wiped out my OS. I stopped using it.
    2. I've had McAfee for over 6 months on my new Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit machine and Windows updates have functioned perfectly. The tendency you mentioned didn't show up for me.
    3. I tried Comodo and found the firewall to be intrusive and difficult to configure to allow exceptions.

With McAfee (the full suite) running, I can still run AMAV (Antmalwarebytes Anti-virus) as a second opinion without a problem. McAfee's firewall seems efficient and easy to configure.

When my McAfee runs out, I'd like to try MSE, but I'm not sure which firewall is best to run with it, since the Win 7 firewall is less than perfect.

Thanks
    With McAfee (the full suite) running, I can still run AMAV (Antmalwarebytes Anti-virus) as a second opinion without a problem.
    Just for the record, and to avoid potentially malicious software with a similar name, it's Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, MBAM, from: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast