4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have several Google Earth Placemarks that I would like to put on my web site. The user would have to have Google Earth installed on their computer, I don't want to put maps or anything else, just the placemark. I am using OfficeLive for my website.

Does anyone know how I can add these to my side so a visitor could click on them and see the spot I have marked? Thanks.

Thanks
    Does Google Earth have a "share" button, similar to Google Maps, that gives you a unique link?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donebb View Post
    I have several Google Earth Placemarks that I would like to put on my web site. The user would have to have Google Earth installed on their computer, I don't want to put maps or anything else, just the placemark. I am using OfficeLive for my website.

Does anyone know how I can add these to my side so a visitor could click on them and see the spot I have marked? Thanks.
    Google Earth can share locations using KML files. KML stands for Keyhole Markup Language. Keyhole is the name of the satellite imaging company that Google purchased to get the ball rolling on Google Earth.

To export KMLs, select your data in the Places panel, left click and select Save Place As.... You will then be given the option to select a place on your computer where the file should be saved. You can also choose between saving as KML or KMZ. Note that KMZ is the zipped version of a KML. If your data contains multiple KMLs, you'll want to choose KMZ as your export format.

I'm not familiar with OfficeLive, but it should be simple to add the KML files to your page to share with your visitors.

Thanks
    Simple example of using KML file downloads to show cricket ground locations:

http://www.phenecricket.com/main/directions.html

JPL

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Google Earth does have a share option, but that is to post it to the Google Earth Community. What I want is to be able to put it as a link on my Office Live web site, like JPL did. I just can't figure out how to do it and it might be a limitation of the Office Live website. I have saved one of my placemarks as both a .KMZ and .KML file and cannot figure out how to paste that onto the website. It won't paste as a file or a link. Not sure what else to try.

Thanks for the suggestions and examples.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donebb View Post
    What I want is to be able to put it as a link on my Office Live web site, like JPL did. I just can't figure out how to do it and it might be a limitation of the Office Live website. I have saved one of my placemarks as both a .KMZ and .KML file and cannot figure out how to paste that onto the website. It won't paste as a file or a link.
    Hmmm, Office Live. Something I found in a search: Add, change, or remove a link to a file from a Web page - Office Live Help. Can you find a "Document Gallery"? You can add links to files in your Document Gallery, so the question is: are you allowed to upload that file type?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    A better option is using Google Maps as that is browser-based, not software-based like Google Earth. With a google account, you can create "MyMaps" after which you could either email or post the URL to your placemarks that you have set.

You can also import KML, KMZ, or GeoRSS files...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To Eric Collins,
    I should have listened to you a long time ago. I kept beating my head against the wall, trying to get it to work with Google Earth. Your advice was best, I created a series of MyMaps and imported my existing placemarks and then got the link from the map and put that on my website. It works very well and for people that have Google Earth, they can also see the placemarks in that program, going there from the map. Thank you for the advice, even if I didn't take it right away.

Here's the link to my site if you want to see what I ended up doing, http://donebb.web.officelive.com/MexicoHouseSites.aspx.