New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a small SBS 2003 domain with about 20 clients.

I would like to create a master image with the applications that we use pre-installed when deployed ,
    the problem is all my clients are already joined to the domain and they all have a mix of OS's, some Vista Ultimate and Business some Xp Pro.

I would like everybody to have the same OS, but not really sure how to go about doing this.

Any suggestions.

Thank You

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    There is more than one approach for deployment of a standard image. You might want to read some of the articles at Technet search - deploy standard image.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Start by doing an inventory of the hardware to determine what would be the one OS that will run on all of the existing hardware, unless replacing the hardware is an option. Then verify that all of the applications will run on that OS. Build this 'master' system and clone it to the others. You may need to purchase additional licenses for the additional OSes. You may need to tweak some of the systems for additional drivers.
    To get just one PnP system you will need very similar if not identical hardware to begin with.
    HTH
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Sysprep is the only way to do it if you have varying hardware.
    Booting with WinPE and then using IMAGEX to deliver the image is relatively easy as you can use a CD to boot (network PXE is just too complicated for a small environment).

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What P_T said. The real challenge is getting all that disparate hardware on the same OS, and all working without issue. All the tools you need to use Sysprep are included in the Windows AIK (Automated Installation Kit). However, I will caution you that the amount of work that goes into getting this working may not be worthwhile for the small number of PCs you support. There is also the issue of licensing. AFAIK, you need volume licensing to be able to legally use a common image. I'm assuming you have OEM Windows licenses right now. If you want everyone to have the same OS and you want to use images, you must purchase volume licensing. There are 3 programs for this, but with the small number you have, you would sign an Open Value agreement with MicroSoft.

Whatever license model you have, personally, I would not spend my time trying to make a common image for only 20 machines unless the hardware is nearly identical across the board. I would instead use something like Macrium Reflect free edition to make images of all the PCs for backup purposes, then spend my energy packaging the applications and writing a script to facilitate deployment when you do introduce a new PC to the environment. If your environment starts to grow and you start hitting 40 or more PCs, then revisiting imaging may make sense.
    Chuck

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    What Chuck said. He said it better!

cheers, Paul