brentheuss

Access 2000 -DBF Database

Hi, all.

I have a database created in Foxpro. Access 2000 opens it OK and I can print the reports and move columns, but Access 2K will not let me add any records or make any changes to the existing records.

I have tried to "convert" the database, but Access 2K will not let me (the "save as" option is grayed out, as are other options). I have installed the ODBC drivers for DBF, but that has not helped at all. Right now, the only option appears to be to re-enter all the data in Access 2K.

Any advice you can offer on converting this database to usable form would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Brent

Mike B

Re: Access 2000 -DBF Database

have a look at this article, Q197893, in the MS Knowledge base HTH

brentheuss

Thanks for the info Mike, but it did not work. I have installed the ODBC driver per the knowledgebase article.

I still get "dataset is unupdatable". How is Nova Scotia?

Hi from California.

Brent

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You're linked to the FoxPro tables, right? Do you have the FoxPro indexes set? Otherwise, you can't update the tables. That's true of other types of databases as well.
    Charlotte

brentheuss

Charlotte,

No, I don't think I have the FoxPros indexes set. How do I do this?

Thank you!

Brent

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You would ask that![img]/w3timages/icons/yikes.gif[/img] I seem to remember that dBase files asked you to specify one or more indexes when you linked the file. FoxPro (except the Visual flavor) should behave similarly, so if you know which indexes you need you should be OK.

An alternative is to import the tables instead of linking them. Then you can do what you need to do without keying anything in.
    Charlotte

brentheuss

I think I still have a PC with FoxPro on it. If I can export the database in another format (maybe CSV), I may be able to import it into Access 2K.

Right now, I can't even import the .DBF file. It's very strange - almost as if it were a locked file, but I don't find any evidence of that. The file is nearly 18,000 records with 10 fields/record, so I'd rather not re-input it if possible.

If you (or anyone else) have any other suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them. This is frustrating. [img]/w3timages/icons/thinks.gif[/img]

Thanks!

Brent

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

OK, if you can link to it, you should be able to build an append query to append records from it to an Access table. Have you tried that? Of course, first you need to build an Access table to hold the records, but it should work.
    Charlotte