New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I start windows on my Dell laptop I get a black border like a picture frame. I can make the display fo to full screen by striking Fn & F7 simultaneously but the next time I turn it on the black frame reappears. How can I make it go away permanently?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardm Ireton View Post
    When I start windows on my Dell laptop I get a black border like a picture frame. I can make the display fo to full screen by striking Fn & F7 simultaneously but the next time I turn it on the black frame reappears. How can I make it go away permanently?
    Welcome to the lounge Richardm.

Set your display to stretch.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Hi Richardm,

If you are using Windows 7 or Vista, right click on your Desktop, and select Personalize. On the bottom left of the Personalize screen, click Desktop Background. On the resulting screen, look to the bottom left for Picture Position. You can click the down arrow to select Stretch as well as other positioning options.

In XP, right click the Desktop and select Properties. On the Display Properties screen, click the Desktop tab. Under Position click the drop down arrow to select Stretch.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I went to the Properties selection I found that Stretch was already selected. Nevertheless, I selected again and restarted XP. No joy, the black frame was still there but as usual quickly disappeared when I hit Fn & F7 together. I neglected to mention that I do have to "double-click" the Fn/F7 combination for it to work. Thanks for the suggestion. Perhaps it is something in the registry.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardm Ireton View Post
    this could be hardware failure, how old is your laptop? how often do you use this? this may be caused by wirings or overheating

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The laptop is several years old but it does not seem to be a hardware problem. This occurred the first time I booted after having used the PC connected to a projector. When I was connected to the projector I had to use the Fn/F8 combination get the projector to display. After I boot the PC and rid it of the black frame with the Fn/F7 combination, I can use it for two or three hours without any problem. The only time I get the black frame is on a boot from power off. In fact, when the boot starts it is full screen when the word "Windows" is displayed. In step 2 of windows loading with just the blank blue screen is when the black frame appears.