Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Win7 64-bit. Since Tuesday, Windows Update has been bugging me there are updates available. When I check, there's only one, listed as important: Windows Live Essentials 2011. I don't want to install it now. Is there a way to hide select updates as used to be the case in previous versions of Windows?

Thanks
    Hi Stumped,

Yes, just right click on the update offered and select Hide Update. You should not see it anymore until you unhide it .
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Stumped,

Right Click on the update and you will be given the option to hide. I did it with this same update.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, guys, that did it!

Thanks
    Once you get to a point where you wish to install the WLE 2011 updates simply click on the Restore Hidden Updates in the Windows Updates window, then choose which updates you wish to install. I'm not sure if you will then have to re-hide the others you still do not want.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Once you click Restore Hidden Updates, all hidden updates are listed for you, but you place a check in the box beside each one you want to restore. The others will remain hidden.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Guys, I would not hide that Windows Live Essentials 2011 update. If you already have Live Essentials installed (and it is [s]baked-in to Windows 7 Home Premium [/s] usually included in Windows 7 Home Premium OEM installations), even if you never sign up for it or never use it, you need the security improvements which these Live Essentials Updates contain. I never use Windows Live anything, as I do not trust the Live ID system in its present form. But I update Live Essentials whenever an update is offered, so as to keep my laptop secure.
    -- Bob Primak --

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Primak View Post
    Guys, I would not hide that Windows Live Essentials 2011 update. If you already have Live Essentials installed (and it is baked-in to Windows 7 Home Premium), even if you never sign up for it or never use it, you need the security improvements which these Live Essentials Updates contain. I never use Windows Live anything, as I do not trust the Live ID system in its present form. But I update Live Essentials whenever an update is offered, so as to keep my laptop secure.
    Windows Live Essentials is NOT baked into any version of Windows 7. If you perform a clean install of Windows 7, including a partition format, you'll find that Windows Live Essentials will not be present. OEMs may pre-install it. Microsoft has agreements with many OEMs to do that.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Windows Live Essentials is NOT baked into any version of Windows 7. If you perform a clean install of Windows 7, including a partition format, you'll find that Windows Live Essentials will not be present. OEMs may pre-install it. Microsoft has agreements with many OEMs to do that.

Joe
    How about Windows Live Mail? Isn't that included with Windows 7 Home Premium now that Outlook Express has been discontinued?

In any event, my OEM Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Toshiba Satellite will not permit me to fully uninstall Windows Live Essentials. I have tried a lot of tools, and nothing seems capable of completely removing Live Essentials from this OEM installation. And nearly all of the OEM Windows 7 Home Premium installations I've seen have the same configuration, with Live Essentials installed. So I think a lot of us who bought new computers with Windows 7 already installed would be better off updating (for security reasons) than fighting to remove Live Essentials completely from our OEM Windows 7 Home Premium installations.

Sorry about the misinformation about Live Essentials being baked into Windows 7. This appears not to be how it gets onto new computers. Blame the vendors and Microsoft, but not specifically the Operating System itself, I guess. (Huh?)
    -- Bob Primak --

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Primak View Post
    How about Windows Live Mail? Isn't that included with Windows 7 Home Premium now that Outlook Express has been discontinued?

In any event, my OEM Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Toshiba Satellite will not permit me to fully uninstall Windows Live Essentials. I have tried a lot of tools, and nothing seems capable of completely removing Live Essentials from this OEM installation. And nearly all of the OEM Windows 7 Home Premium installations I've seen have the same configuration, with Live Essentials installed. So I think a lot of us who bought new computers with Windows 7 already installed would be better off updating (for security reasons) than fighting to remove Live Essentials completely from our OEM Windows 7 Home Premium installations.

Sorry about the misinformation about Live Essentials being baked into Windows 7. This appears not to be how it gets onto new computers. Blame the vendors and Microsoft, but not specifically the Operating System itself, I guess. (Huh?)
    There is no email client included with the Windows anymore. Any mail client that is preinstalled on a PC is part of a separate deal between the PC OEM and the software vendor.

What happens when you try to uninstall Live Essentials? Do you get errors? Are some applications uninstalled but not others? I would guess that uninstall problems are because of the methods used by the OEM to customize the PC. I've never had a problem uninstall Live Essentials when I've installed it.

If you want to blame anyone for Microsoft not including a mail client with Windows blame the US-DOJ & the EU (not sure of the EU agency name). I think Microsoft decided that rather than spend even more time in court it would do what you are seeing now.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    What happens when you try to uninstall Live Essentials? Do you get errors? Are some applications uninstalled but not others? I would guess that uninstall problems are because of the methods used by the OEM to customize the PC. I've never had a problem uninstall Live Essentials when I've installed it.

If you want to blame anyone for Microsoft not including a mail client with Windows blame the US-DOJ & the EU (not sure of the EU agency name). I think Microsoft decided that rather than spend even more time in court it would do what you are seeing now.

Joe
    What happens on the attempted uninstall is that I can use Windows Add/Remove Programs or any other removal tool to get rid of the Live Essentials components. But an item for the core framework of Windows Live Essentials stubbornly refuses to respond to any attempt to uninstall it, and that item remains in the Programs and Components list. This is what led me to erroneously conclude that this framework is baked into my OEM installation of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (Toshiba Satellite OEM). And it is because of this residual framework that I take any MS Updates to Live Essentials as they come along. It's just easier for me to update the Live Essentials as already installed and then never actually use this cloud suite than to try to remove the last bits and pieces from my computer. Unless I am missing something here, which is likely.

Yeah, the DOJ and EU Courts have done a masterful job of taking the Windows e-mail client situation and making an even more confusing mess of it than all the Hotmail changes of late had already done!
    -- Bob Primak --