New Lounger
    Thanks
    Somewhere along the way last week, I must have clicked on something on a web page that instead of taking me to the Internet page, opens Word 2000, and pastes the new page into a word document. This is not what I want, and I can't figure out how to stop this action.

Suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks.
    OCBob

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Bob,

Does this unwanted action only occur when you go to that one specific web address? If a Word document is posted online as part of a website, and you navigate to that document's location using your web browser, that could cause the document to open in Word.

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No. As an example, I'll click on "Update" for one of my programs, and instead of going to the website, it opens a Word 2000 document and pastes the URL into the document, as if I was going to modify the document.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Trying to get the gist of what you're describing:

What program are you in when you click 'Update'? - are you in Word, or Excel? Or are you in a web browser like Internet Explorer or Firefox? Or in some other application, in which case please describe it.

What do you mean by "click Update"? Do you mean reload or refresh the page, as in a web browser? Or is the Update button part of some other application?

When a Word 2000 document opens, is that a blank, empty document, or some existing Word document opening?

What version of Office do you have installed (assume Office 2000)? What web browser (and what version) are you using?

Gary

Thanks
    Can you give a couple examples of pages/links that cause this problem? It might be that there is a pattern, such as a .zip/.rar extension for a download, that would help in diagnosing the problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry for not explaining it better. This problem happened starting last week. I can be browsing in IE8, click on any underlined link on a page, and instead of it taking me to the web page, it opens a WORD 2000 blank document, then "transfers" the link into the blank document.

On other .exe programs, I can't remember which ones, but if I go to "Help", then "Check for Updates", it will do the same as above.

Maybe it's opening Word because I (unintentionally) asked Windows Vista Business to always do this. Maybe it's a file-association problem? I don't know what file association could cause this.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Try using the Internet Options control panel to change your default browser setting back to IE. This may require temporarily choosing another program, then returning to the control panel after saving and switching it back to IE.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think you hit the nail on the head. I had been going back and forth with Chrome & IE, and never selected IE as default after I deleted Chrome. So far, everything seems to be working as normal.
    Thanks for your help.
    Bob