Lounger
    Thanks
    i have installed Outlook 2010 and win7 on a partition on a machine which already contains XP, running OL07. the OL07 .pst is on a data partition (D, which is separate from the system partitions.

when i go into win7 Mail to set up a new profile, or in OL10 to open the .pst, when i click on the drive to open it to locate the .pst, it gives me an error message about not being able to use an internet address, that i must point to someplace on my computer. i can open both the xp and win7 partitions, and a couple of partitons that are mostly empty, but not the d: data partitons or another partition that contains other data.

any idea what is going on here, and how to fix it?

jeffrey

Lounger
    Thanks
    I should add that other of the Office 2010 programs, ie: excel, onenote, can access the D: drive in win7. Other programs also access the D: drive for data files. it seems to be only Outlook/Win7 that thinks that D: is an internet address.

Thanks
    Are you doing a File>Import Export or a File >open>outlook data file operation to open the pst file?

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Witalka View Post
    Are you doing a File>Import Export or a File >open>outlook data file operation to open the pst file?
    i am file>open. i have experienced, and read, that import is not the way to go. as i remember it gets added to the existing .pst. rather than replacing it. the .pst i am trying to open will be the default .pst from now on. (if i get it to work).

jeffrey

Lounger
    Thanks
    more info: i'd like to add that i have just set up a new laptop, with win7 64 bit, home premium, and office 2010. i had no problem adding the .pst file from d: partition.

so why on the desktop, using win7 64 bit, ultimate? i guess that most people don't have this issue. i see nothing about it on the web. but i do wish that i could solve it.

later: after writing the above i remembered that i had neglected to transfer the signature and templates folders from xp to win7, for office. i just did that. then, from stubbornness i tried adding the outlook .pst file again, in Mail, in win7. this time it let me into d:, no problem. did moving the folders make a differenece? i don't see why it would. circumstantial evidence.

iac, problem solved. well, not solved. but, no longer a problem.

jeffrey