New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running Win 7 x64 on an Acer Model 5532 Laptop with a AMD Atholon TF-36 2.00GHz processor with 4 Gig of memory(system states 3.75 usable) . I have increased my Virtual Paging up to the level recommend by W7 (5754 MB). It appears (according to several monitoring methods) that W7 is only using 35% of the real memory and most of the time the processor is running 100%. I have utilized the suggested "50 Ways to Make the Most of Windows 7" to improve performance.

My question is why is more than half of my memory going unused and is there anything I can do to increase memory utilization and reduce processor slow downs (100% utilization)?

Thank folks for your help, in advance

Thanks
    Hi Dick, and welcome to the Lounge!

Have you looked at the Task Manager? If you have, you probably see the reported memory usage at the bottom of Task Manager as Physical Memory: 35%. But that is not the whole picture. Windows 7 does much more in the management of your memory. Click the Performance tab to look under Physical Memory (MB). You will see the values Total, Cached, Available, & Free. Check the Cached value. Windows 7 sets aside a substantial portion of your unused memory to cache programs and files that have been recently loaded so they can be loaded much faster if needed again in your current session. Cached memory is very dynamic, and Windows will flush it and update the cache as needed. So your actual memory currently being utilized to boost performance is much more than 35%. The amount reported as Free is the real unused memory at the moment. You can also click the Resources Monitor button on this page to view more reporting of your resource usage. Here is a superb article by Ed Bott on Windows 7 memory usage.

Check the Processes tab to see what is consuming your CPU cycles. If you click the CPU column heading so the arrow above CPU is pointed down, you will see CPU usage percentages in descending order, with the heavy consumers of cycles placed high in the listing. When you right click a process, you can select Open File Location on your context menu and it will take you to the source file for the process. This can aid in tracking down the program or service that is hogging your CPU cycles. You can also download and run MS Sysinternals Process Explorer to view more details on what is consuming so many of your CPU cycles. You can right click on the process and can search the web for info on the process. Also, when you hover your mouse pointer over the process name, you will see the detailed listing of everything currently running in the selected process. This is particularly useful in looking over the several svchost.exe processes.

How long after booting in to Windows do you see 100% CPU usage? There are several services that run at boot, but you should not notice an inordinate amount of time taken with heavy CPU usage. There are numerous software programs that want to load unnecessarily when you boot Windows. You can check the MSConfig Startup tab to see what is loading when you boot up. Software that often check for updates can really bog things down. Another MS Sysinternals tool for checking such possibilities is Autoruns, particlarly under the Logon tab.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    My question is why is more than half of my memory going unused and is there anything I can do to increase memory utilization and reduce processor slow downs (100% utilization)?

Thank folks for your help, in advance
    Your high CPU usage is something completely different and most likely caused by an application or process that needs to be determined and curtailed.
    Follow Gerald's advice in tracking down the cause of high CPU uasage.

Forget what you know about pagefile sizes from past operating systems. You do not need to set the PF to your maximum RAM and I would
    strongly discourage you from doing so. It is nothing more than a waste of hard drive realestate and real memory usage.

If you need more then you do not have enough RAM installed and are likely using your computer beyond what your
    hardware specification reasonably allows for. Some programs too are just plain and simply poorly coded for memory, and it factors in.
    Applications that require huge amounts of paged memory are very few and far between and you will get memory related errors or buggy behaviors
    when these programs don't have enough. One example are some high end games, only very few will require huge gobs of PF.
    The operating system normally uses a certain amount of PF, but it will be small and will operate in conjunction with prefetch.

Pagefile options:
    1. Let Windows 7 manage your PF usage. It does a far superior job than any other Windows operating system, and that is a fact.
    System RAM will remain the primary focus for usage and larger pagefile use will be invoked when needed.

2. Set the minimum page to it's lowest setting allowable and the maiximum to 3-4 GBs, this way larger PF usage will be envoked when/if actually needed.
    Experiment with your PF to determine your computer's specific sweet spot. I have 8GBs of RAM and set PF for the minimum of 400 MB and a maximum of 4 GBs.
    I have never gone anywhere near 4 GBs.

I am running Win 7 x64 on an Acer Model 5532 Laptop with a AMD Atholon TF-36 2.00GHz processor with 4 Gig of memory(system states 3.75 usable)
    Recheck your system memory and bit rate version in "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System". Something does not jive with your above statement. If it is truly
    64 bit then the full 4 GBs can be utilized. Even the 32 bit version of W7 will show 4 GBs on the above systems page even though it might not be usable.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Optional and something to consider:

I should also note that if you make radical changes to the PF, you should also delete the contents of your prefetch folder and allow it to relearn your
    computer's specific startup routine and program environment. This should be done, in particular, when the issue of your high CPU usage is sorted out too.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.