Thread: Page file size

Thanks
    It has been brought to my attention that I have made a couple (or more) typo's when discussing virtual memory; I used KB instead of MB.

So for clarification, in 32-bit Windows there is a maximum page file size (which coincidentally is almost the same as the maximum amount of memory that can be normally addressed by 32-bit Windows) of 4095 MB.

My Windows 7 32-bit says:

[attachment=90374:Max pagefile size.PNG]

and it will accept 4095 MB.

My apologies for any confusion I might have caused.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Don't forget about the importance of minimum PF sizes as well;
    A set minimum of 4 GBs and a set maximum of 4 GBs= waste of space, and possibly of good RAM too.
    Set your minmums low if you decide to manipulate your operating system's PF, this way you will give focus to RAM instead and PF will be more secondary.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint:

I'll put my "Windows for Dummies" beanie on and ask:
    What's an operating system's PF?
    I think it means "page file", but I want to be sure.

Dick

Thanks
    Hi Dick,

Yes, PF refers to the operating system's page file.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    Don't forget about the importance of minimum PF sizes as well;
    A set minimum of 4 GBs and a set maximum of 4 GBs= waste of space, and possibly of good RAM too.
    Set your minmums low if you decide to manipulate your operating system's PF, this way you will give focus to RAM instead and PF will be more secondary.
    I started using a fixed 4GB (4095MB) page file with Win2KPro and 512MB RAM. No non-hardware related BSOD's, no virtual memory issues, no freezing. I've been using that same configuration on all my machines (including laptops) since. None have had any non-hardware related BSOD's, no virtual memory issues, no freezing. My son is a heavy gamer, and he has never had a performance issue.

I have plenty of disk space to waste. Not running Disk Cleanup as part of a regular maintenance routine is a greater waste of disk space (those files can accumulate well beyond 4GB) and source of fragmentation.

At present I have 25 open apps , one of which is Malwarebytes running a scan, and Windows Media Player playing a playlist across the network, and there is no noticable decrease in performance. My commit charge is up to 32%.

[attachment=90375:Taskbar.PNG]

While the Malwarebytes scan was running, my CPU usage was up there, but so was my performance- no noticable falloff.

[attachment=90376:CPU usage.PNG]

Memory usage was at 2.04GB of 3GB installed, so there's still plenty of headroom left. I believe I would peak out on CPU usage long before I hit any RAM issues, and I don't anticipate any virtual memory issues, ever.

A fixed page file does not fragment, does not need to be constantly resized and causes no hit on disk performance as more apps are loaded and want to start reserving virtual address space.

A fixed page file at the 32-bit Windows max of 4GB per volume (up to 16 volume limit) is a set-it-and-forget-it no-brainer, and Windows is going to maintain some available RAM regardless of how much (or how little) RAM is installed. There are no CPU or read/write cycles wasted on resizing the page file.

If there is a downside, I haven't been able to expose it in a dozen or so years on several different machines. YMMV.

Oh, and Malwarebytes completed its scan and didn't find anything.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows