Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Threatfire (from PC Tools) and SpywareBlaster (from JavaCool Software) are two free anti-malware utilities that each say they can work alongside resident anti-malware products to add protection with little-to-no impact on performance. Both claim to prevent malware from getting onto a system, not remove already existing malware. Do either or both of these tools live up to their claims? Should I add them to my system (I am running Windows 7 Ultimate with Avast Antivirus)? Are there any similar products available that equal or exceed the effectiveness of these utilities? In general, what are the pros and cons for adding products like these to a Windows system? Thanks for your opinions.

Thanks
    My preference is Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. The free version is fully functional with the exception of real time monitoring.

Whatever you decide to do, make an image backup prior to begining so that if something goes wrong you will be able to return to
    the state your computer was in prior to installing the software in question.

Others who have used or currently use "Threatfire (from PC Tools) and SpywareBlaster (from JavaCool Software)" will offer information based on their experience with those
    products, if any. Good luck.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geistman View Post
    Threatfire (from PC Tools) and SpywareBlaster (from JavaCool Software) are two free anti-malware utilities that each say they can work alongside resident anti-malware products to add protection with little-to-no impact on performance. Both claim to prevent malware from getting onto a system, not remove already existing malware. Do either or both of these tools live up to their claims? Should I add them to my system (I am running Windows 7 Ultimate with Avast Antivirus)? Are there any similar products available that equal or exceed the effectiveness of these utilities? In general, what are the pros and cons for adding products like these to a Windows system? Thanks for your opinions.
    i would go with spywareblaster as it will keep you from going to sites you that you may potentially get infected, but threatfire keeps you from infecting your pc by asking you if you will allow certain applications from changing files to your pc. both are effective as they say, keeping you away from spyware and malwares but you already have antivirus such as avast so i would personally advice you to spybot, since i have known its effectivity alongside avast. happy surfing

Thanks
    Hi geistman,

I used Threatfire and Spyware Blaster for about a year each in conjunction with Avast Antivirus 4.8 and never had any infections. I since have dropped both after going to Windows 7 and use Avast 5 with Windows 7 firewall and Windows Defender on a machine with no infections for a year now. I also use Windows 7 firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials on another computer since MSSE was released with absolutely no problems or infections.

In total, I have used Avast Antivirus successfully for about three years with great success, so I will continue to use it. I am very pleased with MSSE as well.

Oh, I forgot (need some coffee); I keep Malwarebytes Antimalware Free on all my machines and conduct weekly scans with it as well. I plan on using that software with the same consistency as putting my pants on before going out.

I like both Threatfire and Spyware Blaster. But I have decided to stay with what I've used for the last year.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi :

I have used Spywareblaster for several years and continue to recommend
    it on a regular basis . You can read about this program at
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial49.html .

However, Threatfire is considered a "HIPS" ( Host-based Intrusion
    Prevention System ) type of security program I do NOT recommend
    since I feel there are superior programs . One of the best in this
    "category" is "DefenseWall" available at http://www.softsphere.com .
    When it comes to investigating the various HIPS programs, I recommend
    the forums of Wilders Security at http://www.wilderssecurity.com
    For the BEST in what counts in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

Lounger
    Thanks
    I use spywareblaster on all my windows machines and add it to those of the people I help. It is so easy to use simply hit update once a week then enable all protection, it sits in the background and does it's thing helping to protect us, one more added layer of security.
    registered Linux user:476595