4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Loungers

I have two fields that hold a) a numeric value (currency) and b) a sign. I want to concatenate then so that I get the, for example: +10.00, +56.20, -20.00. This so that I can sum them.

Before you wonder why it's like thsi it's because transaction will have a positive or negative value depending on the circumstance. I wanted a simple qury that did Sum(Value) but it need to know whther the value is positive or negative. How can I do this and is it possible using a query?

thank you................ liz

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are your fields defined as currency or as text? If the fields are currency you can do a simple sum, but if they are separate text fields (that raises other questions about how the table is structured, but skipping those for now), then you can create an expression which concatenates the two fields, and then use a conversion function to create a currency value. It would look something like this in the query:
    CurrValue: CCur([SignField] & [CurrField])

Is this data being imported from another system where the fields are separate? If so you might want to consider making the fields into a single currency field and tweak the import process so you can deal with this in a more straightforward fashion.
    Wendell

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could have a calculated expression in a query:

SignedNumber: iif([signfield]="+", [numberfield],-1*[numberfield])

Assuming [numberfield] really is a number.
    Regards
    John