5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My daughter just installed Office and Outlook 2010 and there seems to be two problems that may be related:

1. She has to go through a login process every time she opens Outlook. Hopefully, that is not the normal requirement.

2. The Personal Folders section in the left pane is not being used at all! I have attached a screen capture of part of her Outlook window and you will see her email address listed down towards the bottom below the Personal Folders section. Her Inbox, Sent, etc., are all below the line that showed her email address (which I have partially erased).

Is that the way Outlook should look? If so, what is the purpose of the Personal Folders section? All of those folders are completely empty.

Thanks,
    Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    The Personal folders are the folders in the default .pst file when you installed Outlook. Apparently you did a File>open>outlook data file to get the Karen.... set of folders. You can remove the Personal Folders structures by right clicking on it and selecting Close.

Jerry

Thanks
    Also, go to Tools>Account settings>karen.... >Change and make sure that remeber password is checked.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWilson View Post
    2. The Personal Folders section in the left pane is not being used at all! I have attached a screen capture of part of her Outlook window and you will see her email address listed down towards the bottom below the Personal Folders section. Her Inbox, Sent, etc., are all below the line that showed her email address (which I have partially erased).

Is that the way Outlook should look? If so, what is the purpose of the Personal Folders section? All of those folders are completely empty.
    She may have connected to her mail using the IMAP protocol. For each IMAP account, Outlook will display a mirror of the folders on the server under a separate heading. The local folders are used for POP accounts, and you also can copy from an IMAP or Exchange account to local folders in case you want a long term copy, especially for offline use. I think non-email data such as Contacts and Calendar also are stored in the Personal Folders (this is not apparent unless you change the Navigation Pane to the folder view instead of the mail view).

Thanks
    I found that when setting up Outlook 2010 for the first time it would create a seperate .PST file for each email account that was set up (these were POP accounts, not IMAP) and accordingly a similar folder structure for each.

As Jerry said, you can close the Personal Folders structure which would leave only the folders in use.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys, I have forwarded a link to this message thread to my daughter and she will read the messages and see if she can fix her setup. She feels sure that she did check the save password option but it is apparently not being saved. Her intention was to set up POP access to her email and I expect that was set correctly. We will just have to wait and see what she finds out.

I really appreciate your info.

Bill