New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a new Gateway DX seriers PC that came installed with Windows 7 and Media Player 12. I ripped music CDs to the hard drive in the Library and everrything worked fine to listen to them. Then about 3 weeks ago Media Player started to cut out for 1 or 2 seconds during the last 10 to 20 seconds of each song. If I insert the actual CD in the CD player WMP 12 plays it without a problem. I have been all over the web trying to find a fix but haven't found anything so far. Is there anyone else having this problem and if so, what fix. I have tried all the things in Control Panel for the hardware and drivers and everything is correct. Device Manager says the hardware is working properly.

Thanks
    Try an alternate music/media player and see if this cutting out is confined to media player exclusively or not.
    Winamp
    mediamonkey
    vlc player
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    If by chance you don't like Clint's suggestion.
    Check this link out;M$
    Turn Windows features on or off you can read more here;M$
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried changing the Enhancements feature and nothing worked for that unfortunately. WMP 12 kept cutting out still. I tried the vlc player option and also a thing called Play It All. I think both of these are by the same people. Both of them dropped the first few seconds of every song also. So I finally tried the Media Monkey. It worked fine and played all the songs all the way through without dropping or cutting out anything. Only problem, which isn't really a problem at all, is that there is no pause between each of the songs. Not even a second. Goes from one to the other without stopping. I will look at it and see if there is a setting that I can change to fix this. But at least the songs are playing all the way through without dropping or cutting out, which is what I was wanting. And it found all of my music library without even having to tell it where or what I wanted it to find. Really found it fast for me. Even things I didn't know were on the hard drive - samples or something. Will try this over the next few days and see how things go. Thank you both for your help. Now I can enjoy my music again as I work on the PC.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, after using Media Monkey for a few days I found that it was OK, but dropped the first few seconds of each song. So I came back to the Lounge and found the suggestion to try WINAMP. I downloaded the free version and installed it. It also found all my music on the hard disk very quickly. I have tried it for a few of the albums and everything works better like I wanted. There is a pause between the tracks like it should be. I t also shows me all the various albums, etc. The screen is a little cluttered, but that is acceptable as long as I can get the music I want to play. Until Microsoft can get Media Player 12 to work properly and right, I will probably use WINAMP. At least it does what I want it to. Thank you again for your suggestions.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was interested to test this and did so briefly with WMP 12 and my preferred Foobar and VLC player, I played the first three songs of the same album and noticed no drop outs at any stage in any of them, however I confirm that all three jumped straight into the next track without a pause (is this the default behaviour?). In the past I did have some issues with files that simply wouldn't play in one player but would in another and found this related to tags (I think created by old or incompatible versions of other players), the problem being solved by simply retagging. I certainly don't ever remember encountering the problem you have experienced.

BTW, another thing I don't like about WMP is that it won't play FLAC by default, although I think you can install a CODEC to solve this.

Graham

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, after trying out WINAMP, Media Monkey, VLC, Play-it-all, they all had problems of some sort. I finally went to RealPlayer as I have had that for some time, but did not use it much. It found all my music and played it properly. I am not really sure I like the library part as much as Windows Media Player 12, but at least it works like it should. But now a new problem. After trying WINAMP I found that it completely deleted the desktop icon for Media Player 12. MP 12 is still available on the all programs menu, but the icon is gone. I have since uninstalled WINAMP, but now Windows Media Player 12 does not have any sound at all. I think WINAMP deleted a necessary file for Windows 7 called winamp.* something that is the configuration file Windows Media Player 12 needs to tell it that there are speakers. Now nothing in Windows MP 12 works with any speakers. Any ideas? Why would someone else call a file winamp when Microsoft uses the same name to configure a setting that there software needs in order to work.?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    You can try Control Panel | Programs | Turn Windows Features on or off. Then in the Media Features section turn WMP off. Re-boot then reverse the process to turn WMP back on. That mayget the file back.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried the suggestion from JoeP and after re-booting I tried WMP 12 again and still no sound. So I looked at what audio device it was using. I have a Realtek High Definition Audio card installed. Somehow during all the trials of other media players the playback feature was changed to the Realtek Digital setting instead of the speakers setting. I changed it back to speakers and now WMP 12 is playing with sound again. However I still am having the problem of it cutting out for 1 or 2 seconds during the last 10 to 20 seconds of each song. But at least I can use it again. I also have Realplayer 14 installed and it works just fine.