New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a fairly extensive music library which I have (perhaps unfortunately) allowed Window Media Player and Media Center to manage.

I entered all the required information about each track on each album I have stored, including a picture of the album cover initially from the Microsoft automatic site and, when that does not find the album details, I have typed the track details and scanned the cover picture. When I first did this all was well.

Today I noticed that one of my album pictures has been applied to numerous, but not all, albums. I have not discovered a pattern to those that are still correct and those that have been corrupted. Curiously, if I use the large icon view in Windows Explorer, some of the tracks within a corrupted album are shown with the original (and correct) picture on the track icon, whilst others in the same album show the erroneous AlbumArt picture. When viewing the albums in Media Center they show the corrupt cover picture, making it very difficult to know which album I actually want to play. The tracks themselves have not been corrupted, just the album picture.

I have attached a snip of the Explorer display of a corrupted album, showing the first 2 tracks with the correct image and all the others and the AlbumArt items with the overwritten image. Incidentally, the image that has overwritten the correct ones was present on one album, and that is still OK.

I wanted to use the image from those tracks that still show the correct album cover picture to restore the AlbumArt and image on the other erroneous tracks, but I have not been able to discover where the images used for the track icon display are stored.

I also need to know how and why this corruption happened so that I can prevent a recurrence.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium (32 bit).

Any suggestions welcomed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks
    After a lot more research, I have realised that this is an interaction between Windows Explorer and Windows Media Player. There are several complaints about problems of a similar nature in various places on the web.

I have still not found a specific cause which is worrying because, even if I correct the files, it may happen again. Microsoft do not have any advice or solution on their sites.

I have come across several programs which will display the images that are used by Explorer when displaying icons (medium, large or extra large but not small) and in the preview panel. Some allow you to manipulate the images. The one I am using to correct my problem is MP3Tag - http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ - so far so good.

I cannot find any information on where the images are stored - I presume that they are embedded in the MP3 file but I have not found a way of accessing theat information directly.

This means that I can correct the files for which I have a correct image (say, on another file in the same album), but there are several albums for which there is no image available. These are albums which do not have an image when I use WMP to obtain album information. The list of tracks is obtained correctly, but no imagge of the album cover. I had originally scanned my cover and used that but, at present, my albums are 5,000 miles away from me - so that is not an option.

As before, my biggest concern is how to prevent a further corruption being created by Explorer/WMP.

Any suggestions welcomed.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is one of the reasons I gave up on Windows Media Player. It just does things that it wants to do, even when configured not to. Try something better like Media Monkey or Winamp. Both of these have excellent tagging capabilities. And you can not only chose where to store the images, but how, i.e. imbedded or not. I personally use Media Monkey and have been very satisfied with it.
    Chuck