1. Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hard disk failure is imminent. Please back up your hard disk and have it replaced!

A search turned up quite a few hits, but I thought someone here might be a better source. This message appeared on a brand new WD Blue 1T drive, I'm not sure at what point, but I have tried it in two different computers and it gives the same message. (The drive has three partitions and was restored from an image of another drive, which gave no such message.) One source suggested that it was tied in with smart settings in the BIOS or something, and that it may be a result of my BIOS settings.

In spite of the alarming message which appears at boot, it appears to work normally and three different partitioning programs have displayed the drive and partitions as healthy. It is literally a couple of weeks old at most, and was manufactured within the past two months and has a three-year warranty, but I hate to haul it back if it is my mistake.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. 2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    Hard disk failure is imminent. Please back up your hard disk and have it replaced!

A search turned up quite a few hits, but I thought someone here might be a better source. This message appeared on a brand new WD Blue 1T drive, I'm not sure at what point, but I have tried it in two different computers and it gives the same message. (The drive has three partitions and was restored from an image of another drive, which gave no such message.) One source suggested that it was tied in with smart settings in the BIOS or something, and that it may be a result of my BIOS settings.

In spite of the alarming message which appears at boot, it appears to work normally and three different partitioning programs have displayed the drive and partitions as healthy. It is literally a couple of weeks old at most, and was manufactured within the past two months and has a three-year warranty, but I hate to haul it back if it is my mistake.
    your OS is?

Thanks
    peterg,

Is this a new drive? If so return it. Wd has some apps on their web site that might be used to troubleshoot your problem. I would not trust it with the present error indication.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5. 5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If the so-called SMART feedback is giving you this message, then despite what other tests are indicating, I would send it back. S.M.A.R.T. technology is pretty D.U.M.B. in my opinion but when it pipes up, it's always been right in my experience.

6. Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bong tubera View Post
    your OS is?
    Win 7 Ultimate x64. I should note that this was not a clean install but an image restore.

7. Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I anticipated the chorus of 'take it back' (which I will probably do), but this is the second hard drive on this computer (not the O/S) and there is an interesting page from HP that tells you that you must perform their tests before they will take it back and if it passes all, it must be OK. The computer is indeed an HP Pavilion and I presume that means that the BIOS is theirs as well, although the drive itself is not from HP.

It is the BIOS (or I guess the POST, if that is what appears at boot) where the message is displayed. There is nothing of importance on the drive (yet), so the only nuisance is removing it and returning it, but I'm not a hardware man and I treated it as plug and play, so became worried that installation may have required special knowledge. At any rate, I do have the test programs from HD and Seagate, which appear to be identical, but I will start with that HP routine to see if it comes up with anything.

8. Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    It especially did not pass the HP test (which on my desktop computer is at the initial blue screen) so back it goes. It's a nuisance, but I guess that's all. I'll report back if the shop has anything interesting to say about it.

Thanks
    If it is a WD drive, download and run Western Digital's diagnostic utilities.
    If you got it from a department store, take it back to the same department store if the diagnostic tool shows errors.
    Your simplest and quickest test would be a checkdisk, but the Western Digital Diagnostic utility is what you need to be testing it with.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

10. Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    The disk is at the shop and they are going to check it next week, but I had a thread in this forum on Recurring scan at boot which I never did get resolved at my end (Dirty Volume seemed the most likely explanation) no matter how many scans and whatnot I performed. The really bad news is that it seems to be contagious, at least if I use an image of a drive that is exhibiting it and apply it to a 'known good' hard drive. I have just done that very thing with a perfectly good drive tonight by trying to use an image instead of a clean install. I think I did the same thing with the new drive, which problem is what led me to buy the new drive, and I now suspect that that may be what triggered the 'failure is imminent' message: instead of running CHKDSK three times at boot, it gave the SMART ERROR 'failure is imminent'.

I still don't know if this is malware or mess-up, but everything appears to work properly except for that maddening mess at start-up. I would welcome any thoughts on the matter, in part so that I can suggest it to the technician if that is a possible source and give him a lead, and in part so I can try to get rid of it on the computer that is showing it here now. If the two are related, the tech may already know how to deal with it short of a clean install. I don't think it can possibly be the disk if I can transfer it with an image, but it is certainly a problem in its own right.

11. 5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Follow Clint's advice and check with the diagnostic program from whatever drive man. you are using. These tools should run below file system level and tell you if the drive is truely bad. It would seem to me that any drive level issues that would be brought over with an image (for sure if it is bit by bit instead of sector by sector) should be able to be fixed with a defrag and chkdsk.

See the following link:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...f-589e28f13a65

12. Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyh View Post
    Follow Clint's advice and check with the diagnostic program from whatever drive man. you are using. These tools should run below file system level and tell you if the drive is truely bad. It would seem to me that any drive level issues that would be brought over with an image (for sure if it is bit by bit instead of sector by sector) should be able to be fixed with a defrag and chkdsk.

See the following link:
    http://social.techne...af-589e28f13a65
    Thank you for the bounty of linked replies which should be more than enough to keep me busy for some time to come. It is a great relief to know that I am not the only user with this problem, and I will be interested to see if anyone concludes that it may indeed have the same source as the ‘Drive about to fail’ warning.

One thing not mentioned was Windows Memory Diagnostic in System Recovery Options when Repair is run from the installation disk. I suspect that this may cover some of the same territory, and it can take a number of hours to run.

13. Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I was given a new drive in a flash after the weekend, but I would add the remark that all who encourage anyone to return a drive without the proviso that it should be wiped of data if any is on it should include it in future. A hundred bucks is a drop in the bucket of the value of the data that might be on a drive, and I suspect that almost any wiping system can be undone by a brute force analysis. If the drive has data and is under warranty, then get a big magnet and sacrifice the drive.