New Lounger
    Thanks
    I miss many of the features that MicroSoft, in their infinite wisdom, destroyed in Windows 7. Perhaps you can either help me figure out how to restore those missing features, or how to find a replacement for Explorer.

1) I always used icons/buttons at the top of Explorer to do things like Delete files, but those icons seem to be gone; any way to get them back?

2) While Win7 can still restore Explorer sessions when one reboots, all of the sessions are now shaped exactly the same, which is hugely annoying. I want each folder to display in its own customized manner. The idea that every Explorer session should be the same is stunningly naive.

3) I use single-clicks to do everything, so Explorer replacements that cannot support single clicks are off my list.

Thanks

Jon

Lounger
    Thanks
    Apparently I am "stunningly naive" but others seem to like variety. Your display can be changed under Tools/Folder options. It may take a while, but you will eventually get what you want.

Insofar as adding a delete to the toolbar, this can be done and the instructions are here: http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/M...r-Toolbar.html

The single click should be able to achieved via your mouse software. I am using a MS wireless, so I can speak for that particular device, but I am not familiar with other brands.

Hope this helps
    Phasr

Sonoran Desert

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Jon,
    to 1): try PowerDesk, Xplorer2 lite, 7-zip or FreeCommander
    to 2): search on the net for ShellFolderFixSetup.exe
    to 3): see 1)
    Adam

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Adam:

Thanks. So far, I've tried xplorer2, Blue Explorer, Total Commander, AB Commander, and XYPlorer.

None of them seem to be able to remember how I displayed a folder previously, even if I save a folder as a Favorite. I want some folders as all thumbnails, others as details, some displayed as a large window, some as a tall skinny window. The content of each folder determines how I wish to view it. I am stunned that I am the only one who sees this feature as important.

Most of the explorers seem to think that dual panes is important, but I can simulate that with two instances of any explorer, so that feature seems misguided.

I may well have to write my own. It's frustrating when features you've used for a decade are suddenly evaluated as unimportant.

Jon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Adam,

To get your single click type Folder Options into the search bar then hit enter {see graphic below}.
    To remember the display options for each folder go into the View tab and reset to defaults. Then when you set up a folder it should remember the settings.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Retired Geek:

What makes you think that clicking Reset Defaults in the View tab will allow each folder to have its specific Explorer attributes remembered? This does not seem to work at all.

Explorer remembers whether I want to see Thumbnails or Details, but that is not near enough. I want each Explorer window to be in the same place and size each time I to back to that folder, with the Preview pane, folder pane, and file list panes set up exactly the same way.

Jon

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Looking back at this thread, I realize that it is a bit disjointed. My original post did not distinguish between problems I was having with Win 7 Explorer and some of the replacements I was evaluating.

I know how to set Win 7 Explorer to accept single clicks; my problem was that some of the replacements could not offer that function.

Thanks for the link to add the Delete function to Win 7 Explorer; that will help quite a lot.

I now realize that there are two kinds of "remember the folder parameters" going on here.

One is the normal concept that has been around for years: how does one want the file list to appear (details, thumbnails, sort order, etc).

The other is how one wants a folder to appear when it is first opened. The problem I am having is that, when I reboot, Win 7 Explorer does remember to open all of the folders I had open prior to shutting down (good), but it opens all of the folders in the same location and layout (bad). I was hoping to find a way to have the folders not only opened again, but restored to their original locations and layouts. I now realize that this is simply not going to happen.

Probably no need to respond further to this thread.

Thanks for the help that was offered.

Jon

Lounger
    Thanks
    Insofar as Win7 not remembering after rebooting: I have not had that problem generally speaking. However, I have experienced several apps which march to the beat of their own drummer, such as Acronis, and other file handling apps. They only demand their own method of displaying when within the app, and have not changed the general display in Windows explorer. The fact that Win7 doesn't save your explorer settings upon exit is puzzling to me. I wish I could offer more info.
    Phasr

Sonoran Desert

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is all why the next Microsoft OS should be...Windows XP 2012! I would pay "Macintosh hardware" type prices for the functionality and intuitive navigation of XP married to the modern graphic advances of 7.