Thanks
    I have a Dell Laptop with XP Service Pack 3..

I only use it as a spare and for phone use.

I want to un-install a lot of programs and most of them don't show in ADD/Remove...
    I also use Ad Remove Plus and they don't show in that program either...
    There is no un-install options on the programs I want to un-install....

Soooo, how can I un-stall these programs?

Any Suggestions?

Thanks
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    ???
    Try their respective root installation folders in the "programs" folders section. Many or most will have an uninstaller associated with them located there.
    Why they are not showning up in the control panel's "Add/Remove Programs" list is somewhat puzzling. Are they blanked out, or just plain not present?
    You are the admin for the computer? Give us an example of some of the programs.

The next thing to try would be a 3rd party tool like Revo or something equally powerful.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There's another method that could work, but it will require some research and some labor. You can try it if the high-powered uninstallers still don't work.

One way OEM computer manufacturers make money is by incorporating various trial programs in their installations. The idea is that you will try and buy. But it's sometimes difficult to distinguish the programs you installed from the trial progs. *If* you have a Dell repair disk, you can examine it to see what a reinstallation will put on your machine. Once you compare and contrast, you'll have a list of programs you don't want, and a list of ones you want to keep. Make a sector-by-sector clone of your existing XP drive, for safety's sake. Make sure that clone has on it all the keepers, because you are going to have to reinstall those, and you'll need the installation files that I hope you have archived along with the progs themselves. Otherwise, you'll need either to download again, or have the installation CDs ready to deploy. I'm assuming that you want this laptop to serve as a bare minimal machine, so there won't be too many progs to keep track of and preserve. This next step is very important. You must find the CD Key that goes with the operating system that's already installed. You are going to use that in the next physical step.**

Now find someone who will lend you a *retail* installation disk of WinXP. It may be an SP2 or SP3 version, and that will be good. Run this installation CD on the laptop. You'll be given an opportunity to format the target drive, which should be the one the Dell OEM version was installed to. When asked for the CD Key, type in the key that came with the Dell. Now you are going to be at a choice point. You'll be given an opportunity to do a repair installation, and you don't want to do that, because that will leave all the undesired trialware that you're trying to get rid of. What's more, sometimes the repair installation will proceed for a while and then tell you that it can't continue. The manufacturer has no doubt put something in the OEM version that prevents what you are trying to do.

So, having made the clone, you will proceed to wipe everything on the target drive via the installation disk's formatting tool. Then you'll proceed with a fresh installation of XP. You must be sure to install SP3 or SP2 and SP3 before allowing the laptop to look at the internet. It will be best if you have saved all the subsequent Microsoft patches, because you can then install most or all of them without being connected.

** If you don't know the key, or it's not on a decal on the surface of the laptop somewhere, report back here, and you'll be touted onto a program that will find the key for you.

Thanks
    DR, that's a good idea.
    I have retail version of XP so I'll try that.
    I don't care if I wipe out the disk because I hardly use it anymore and all the programs are on my desktop...
    I have SP2 on a DVD...

I'll use Belarc to get the registration key before I install XP....

Clint, I meant to say in my original post that I have REVO and not Add Remove Plus...

Thanks, I'll repost when it's all done to let you know how it went..

Thanks
    Well, I can't install XP because it says I have a NEWER version.
    I guess because of SP3 and all the updates that have been installed.

I have heard there is a way to force the install but I don't have that option on the XP disk..

Any suggestions???

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Banyarola View Post
    Well, I can't install XP because it says I have a NEWER version.
    I guess because of SP3 and all the updates that have been installed.

I have heard there is a way to force the install but I don't have that option on the XP disk..

Any suggestions???

Thanks
    During the installation process, since you do not care to keep anything there, format the disk, then install from your XP disk. There should be an option near the beginning of the installation if you wish to format the HD. Do so then install.Once you format, the original XP SP3 will be gone. Once you install XP SP2, find the update to SP3 and install it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Well, I got XP installed and back to normal except that the XP Key code from the original installation keeps getting rejected when I try to activate the new installation...
    It give me a phone number to call but before I call is there any suggestions on how to get it to accept the key code without having to call them???

Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morn, banyarola.

The keys on the bottom of the laptop is for the OEM installation. Seeing as you used a retail CD, they will not be accepted. Used the keys that came with the CD that you installed.

Good luck. Jean.

Thanks
    I found them on the bottom like you say before you posted and it's working fine now.

The only problem I have is the display is slow, like when scrolling etc..
    There must have been a Dell video driver in the original setup and I can't find it on the Dell site...

I'll have to try to find it someplace...

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Banyarola, you almost certainly have the original Dell driver on the clone copy you made before you did the re-installation.

After you get that installed, you can use Device Manager to update the driver to the latest version from Dell.

Failing that, you now know what the mainboard model number and brand are. You might try going to the mainboard manufacturer's site to find the video driver. This sometimes doesn't work with OEM PCs, since the manufacturer may not list that model number in its support pages.

I *have* in the past had some luck finding drivers for HP proprietary boards. I've gone to ASUS, say, and looked for mainboards with specs close to those on the HP board, and downloaded from there. In the case of ASUS, very often the same driver installation file will be listed for a very large number of nominally different boards. It makes sense that the driver assemblers would do that, to save time and effort.

And BTW, I like Belarc a lot. But it sometimes yields wrong numbers. So far I've not had any failures using

Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder 2.0.1
    http://www.magicaljellybean.com

Thanks
    Thanks but I never made aclone.
    I just formatted and installed XP from a OEM xp cd I had.

I got the driver from DEll and just installed it and it's working fine now.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

Case Closed---For now anyway..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Banyarola View Post
    Thanks but I never made aclone.
    I just formatted and installed XP from a OEM xp cd I had.

I got the driver from DEll and just installed it and it's working fine now.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

Case Closed---For now anyway..
    Glad my suggestion to format the HD then load XP worked for you. Did you update to XP SP3? You may want to do this, then create an Image for future use in this same situation.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Yes, I updated to SP3.

I got my sound working. Had to d/l the sound driver from Dell.

I use True Image and plan to image to an external HDD today.

What seems simple at the time never is.

Thanks again..