2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello again, Colleagues All,

In a thread I initiated on the Windows 7, I got some useful advice on monitoring downloads to my brand-new computer which were costing me an arm and a leg (well tripling my usual internet bill in comparison with my old XP machine). I acquired Net Limiter pro which allowed me to identify some big sources of traffic. One of these is Outlook and the reason is that it is simply acting as a window into my provider's system. Every time I open it, it has to read all of my mailbox in order to display it on my screen. There is also a secondary problem, in that, unlike the previous version, which downloaded all the emails and then deleted them from the provider's mailbox, this modus operandi leaves them in place (unknown to me) to the point that I was exceeding my allowance and risked emails being bounced.

When I open Outlook, I can see three what I assume one might call mailboxes. One has my email address on it, another is called Outlook and the last is called Outlook Data File. There is also an occasional one called Favorites (to use the quaint US spelling!). Outlook is the .pst file transferred from my old computer. There does not appear to have been any archiving done since I started using Outlook 2010. Outlook Data is empty.

Clearly, Outlook is behaving in a corporate manner, as though I was simply a user in a business context. What I want it to do is to replicate former practice; that is, (1) download all emails to a mailbox on my machine, (2) delete all emails on the provider's system after the download and (3) archive my emails automatically. I cannot find anywhere in the ribbon or by right-clicking to set up options of this kind and I would appreciate any advice (even proposals to ditch Outlook in favour of another email program - though that advice would have to be accompanied by instructions on how to manage the transfer ! )

Regards,

Jim

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jim,

I attempted to explain how this works in the other thread. Please go into Tools-Account settings and see what your account type is. If it is IMAP, you would be better off using the POP protocol to make outlook act like it has in the past....

See the following link for a more in depth explanation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interne...ccess_Protocol

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, mercyh,

I had to grope around a bit to find the option I was looking for as Tools does not exist as a tab in Outlook 2010. Eventually, I found it under Files->Info->Account Settings. However, when I went into it to change the protocol, I found that the combo box was greyed out and only the IMAP option was visible. Does this mean that the protocol is dictated by the provider (a firm called Optus, in this case) ? If so, the only other thing I can think of to do is to set up a new mail-box on my computer and do a block transfer of all current emails. The downside is that to delete them from the provider mailbox, I would have to check each one individually - very tedious.

Perhaps another email program might be easier, though I do not know whether I could set it up wwith a POP connection.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have just looked at my copy of Outlook 2010 (which is don't normally use).

I does not allow me to change my account to POP, but when I create a new account and choose to"Manually Configure Server Settings" then I can choose POP.
    Regards
    John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hutchison View Post
    I have just looked at my copy of Outlook 2010 (which is don't normally use).

I does not allow me to change my account to POP, but when I create a new account and choose to"Manually Configure Server Settings" then I can choose POP.
    That is correct. The OP will need to add the account as a POP account, make sure all emails come into it, drag his sent mail and any sorted mail folders into the folders for the POP account and then delete the IMAP account.

The POP account settings by default are set to delete the mails from the server once they are downloaded. This obviously breaks checking mail from webmail or from another location. I like to change that setting to leaving the mail on the server for 30 days so if I do lose my machine and don't have a totally current backup, I can still get the mail that is 30 days old and newer. I can also check mail from webmail and get the last 30 days messages even if my email client is running and downloading the mail.