New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm using Outlook 2010 & Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I'm having a frustrating problem lately when I try to save e-mail messages to my PC. I'm using the default .msg file extension option. The saved file no longer saves with the normal "envelope" icon. Instead, what I see is a blank icon that looks like a page with a corner folded in. Worse, these files cannot be opened either via clicking on them or using Outlook. Nothing happens. When I return to Outlook, I discover that Outlook is hung up and I have to close it via the Task Manager and then re-open. Iíve also discovered that every e-mail message that I've saved on my PC over the years is now also locked and their "envelope" icon has been replaced with the same "blank page" icon.

While looking for answers, I found and installed an application called LockHunter. Now when I right click on a saved e-mail message, there's an option to find out what's locking the file. Each time I select that, I'm told that the culprit is Windows Explorer. Iím then given an option to unlock the file and when I do that the normal envelope icon is () displayed and then the file opens. BTW, I don't have this issue with Word, Excel & PowerPoint files that I save; only Outlook.

I've exhausted every remedy that I can think of or find on the Internet, including I made sure that the file and folder options is checked to" always show icons and not thumbnails"; ran the Windows & Office 2010 repair options which found nothing untoward; did an 8 hour scan via Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool with negative results; updated all of my applications via Secunia Personal Software Inspector; uninstalled every application that I felt was unnecessary via Revo Uninstaller Pro; did a registry cleanup via CC Cleaner; Windows Security Essentials is always on (it did find one Java Trojan recently); I uninstalled a bunch of non-Microsoft shell extensions; and I "unactivated" all of the Outlook Add-ins and re-activated each with no affect on the problem. In that regard, one thing I have been unable to do is activate the Microsoft VBA for Outlook Add-in. I think I saw something somewhere suggesting that might be contributing to the problem.

I have been unable to find this problem posted on a variety of forums, including Microsoft's. Surely, somebody else has had this problem before me. Anyhow, at this point, I'm willing to try just about anything!

John Prince

Lounger
    Thanks
    What default program is set to open .msg files on your computer?
    Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Default Programs > Set Associations

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Outlook

Thanks
    Hi Prince, do you open the mail before attempting to save it ?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I usually do.